Civil war

Both sides seeked vengeance for the death of  a prince, banners were called. Armies marched to declare for their king or queen. House Blackwood invaded the lands of House Bracken that supported the greens; the villages and seats were burned to ash. Aegon had lost his support on the Riverlands.
When Rhaenyra and Shaera heard from Dragonstone, they felt glad that they had the upper hand so far.

Otto Hightower once again manipulated the defences in Kings Landing; he sought out alliances with any possible enemies after Daemon conquered Harrenhal despite Harwin's objection to it.

Aegon's fears deepened at the loss of support, he was rejected by the Vale and the North. Corlys Velaryon and his fleet were storming Blackwater bay. Otto's envoys were constantly ignored, much to Aegon's dismay. He dismissed his grandsire in favour of his new hand, Criston Cole. His first decision as hand of the king, Criston told Aegon to treat those who denied him as king as traitors. They were all captured and offered one last chance to bend the knee but those who didn't had their heads mounted on spikes. Daemon wrote a letter to Shaera, when she read it she smirked at knowing Otto Hightower no longer had the power to do anything.

Aegon knew he would not win at the rate of which he was losing what few allies he had, his patience was running out. Criston set his attention on Rooks Rest to apprehend House Staunton who loyally served their true and rightful queen. Lord Staunton had managed to send a raven to Dragonstone, Rhaenys and Meleys came to the aid. Sunfyre and Vhagar ambushed them, the golden dragon was able unlike the older she-dragon that never truly healed after Aemma and Vermithor attacked when Lucerys died. A swarm of thick flames engulfed them, Meleys clamped her jaws down into Sunfyre's neck. Vhagar decended from above, her large size caused all three dragons to  crash. The smoke and ash blowing in the wind but Vhagar arose. Sunfyre was missing a wing, his once golden appearance was stained with blood. Aegon had been severly burned, broken bones mangled into one. His clothing melted to his charred skin. He survived the fall unlike Rhaenys and Meleys who were found in a pile on the beach, the red dragons body lay next to her rider. Aemond and Criston took Meleys' head and dragged it through the streets of Kings Landing.

"The traitor dragon Meleys".

Alicent could not bare it so she barred the gates. Due to his wounds, Aegon named Aemond protector of the realm in his stead.
Shaera felt anger bubble inside her, Rhaenys had been her friend and family. She had been there for her when nobody else was. Corlys threatened to abandon Rhaenyra's cause at hearing of his wife's death, he kept losing the people closest to him. Corlys Velaryon was soon named hand of the queen, his lust for power was the same as most men in the seven kingdoms. Viserys and Lyonel were sent off to Pentos in hopes of their safety whilst Joffrey, Rodrik and Visenya were sent to the Vale.

Jace wanted to attack Kings Landing with as fire as possible, he offered Knighthood and wealth to those who claimed a dragon. Many were afraid of trying to claim a dragon or died trying. Aethalrax hated that strangers were walking wherever they pleased. Corlys brought in his two bastard sons, Addam and Alyn of Hull who became true Velaryon's after Rhaenyra legitimised them. If only Laenor could have met them. Hugh Hammer and Ulf the white were also successful in claiming dragons alongside a girl, her name was revealed to be Nettles. Shaera did not miss the way that the girl stared at her, their dragons sensed the tension and acted with the same hostility towards the other.

Whilst Rhaenyra and Shaera remained on Dragonstone. Rhaenyra welcomed any support unlike Shaera who was apprehensive about trusting the new dragonriders.

~
Shaera sat in the warm bath prepared for her whilst reading the latest letter she received from Daemon. She looked around when the feeling of being watched would not leave her. She gripped the edges of the bathtub when she saw a silhouette at the door when the person came into the light. Shaera snared at the person before placing the letter on the table placed next to the bath.

"What do you want? Can you not see I am taking a bath in my private quarters or are you simple minded?",

"I see why he is fond of you, he said you were the most beautiful in all the lands. Now that I have seen you, I cannot help but agree", Nettles told the confused woman. She walked closer to Shaera and picked up the letter, Nettles scanned her eyes over every word.

"What?".

"The Prince, he spoke fondly of you and your beauty",

"Fondly? The Prince? Am I to understand that you have spoken previously with my husband about me?".

"We spoke of many things, he said you were breathtaking but never that you were his wife. He never said your name, he always spoke of his flame which I now know is you", Nettles pointed to the top of the letter where Daemon had written the nickname.

"How do you know my husband?", Shaera grabbed her arm harshly.

"He would kill me if I told you".

"Then why did you come here? Why come to my chamber in the middle of the night to talk about my husband and then not tell me anything of how you know him?", Shaera spoke angrily. Her temper was beginning to flare.

"I simply wanted to see your appearance, you are different than I thought you would be but the realms desire you certainly are".

With that the girl left, Shaera sat back in the now tepid bath water. She felt a strain in her shoulders from putting too much pressure on them. She vowed that she would know what transpired  between Daemon and Nettles, no matter the cost.