14.-traitor.

Todays the Fourth of July, every single year Susannah goes all out, and all the kids were so excited. Susannah vowed to make this one special.

Matilda hadn't really had a good Fourth of July since her Mom passed, it wasn't the same for her, or her Dad, anymore. So, she was looking forward to a new, fun experience, and this would be her first one with Conrad.

Matilda trailed behind Conrad, hand in hand, they paused at the table where Jeremiah and Belly were,

" hey, can I have the rest of your milk? " Jeremiah asked Belly, who had finished her cereal.

" sure. " Belly shrugged, pushing the bowl towards him.

" Jeremiah that's so gross, you have to stop doing that. " Matilda grimaced, as he slurped the milk.

Belly looked up, noticing Matilda was there. She shot her a glare, and looked away.

" honestly, I've tried telling him." Conrad shook his head, raising a brow.

Jeremiah put the bowl down, smiling happily,

Conrad looked flabbergasted for a moment, before he rolled his eyes, " Yo, Tills and I are gonna go sort the clams, did you get the lighter fluid? " he asked.

"Mhm!" Jeremiah nodded, wiping his mouth, " yeah, it's already on the beach. "

Conrad whistled happily, walking him and Matilda out of the direction of the kitchen,

As they were heading out, Steven and Susannah walked in,

" are we done with the portrait? " Steven asked.

" yeah, for now. " Susannah nodded with a smile. " you do look good in a dress shirt Steven. "

Steven chuckled ,

" which makes me think, if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to the ball.. " Susannah started, earning Belly and Jeremiah's attention, " you should take her Steven. " she finished.

" gross. " Belly immediately responded,

"No,no,no!" Steven laughed, desperately shaking his head. " Plus I'm already taking Shayla "

" to the debutante ball? " Laurel questioned, walking into the room.

" yes. " Steven answered,

" as an escort?! " she asked, looking bewildered.

" yes, wrap your head around it, Mum, alright? " Steven laughed, " look, Shayla is coming today with Nicole, and Gigi, so you'll meet her. "

Laurel smiled,

" that's wonderful. " Susannah beamed,

" oh, and don't forgot the first dance rehearsal is tomorrow Belly, so tick tock! " she reminded Belly,

" I'll ask Cam today. " Belly nodded,

Jeremiah looked disappointed, as Susannah smiled proudly.

" I don't know my kids anymore. " Laurel commented, speechless.

—————

Matilda helped Conrad clean the clams ,

" this is the first time I've been excited for the fourth in years. " Matilda told him,

Conrad smiled sadly at her, stopping cleaning for a moment, " hey, this one will be really special I promise you " he chuckled, his smile he flashed her was genuine.

" I know " Matilda responded, sharing his smile.

Conrad chuckled, as he carried on cleaning the clams.