21.- we'll be a fine line.

Matilda lied alone on Conrad's bed, crying into his pillow. Susannah was talking to Jeremiah and Conrad downstairs, and Laurel was with Steven and Belly. her heart ached, not just because of how devastated she felt , about having to lose another mom, but for Conrad, Susannah, Jeremiah, all of them.

She felt like the worst person in the world, she knew there was something up with Conrad, and she should've encouraged him further to tell her. She felt simply sick, that Conrad had to carry this alone for so long, and it explains so much.

As for Susannah, having to know this would be the last summer with your kids made her heart ache. At least for Inez, death was quick, she didn't really have to hold for ages , knowing she would never see her kids again. Susannah has had to carry the fact she's ill, alone, with her husband whose a cheater.

She remembered what it was like to lose her own mom, and having to know Conrad and Jeremiah will have to go through the same thing tears her apart.

Suddenly, someone knocked softly on the door, before entering. Matilda looked up, and saw Susannah.

" Suze- " she sniffled, wanting to be strong for her.

Matilda sat up, as Susannah pulled her into a tight motherly hug. Matilda let herself cry into her shoulder.

" I'm sorry honey. " Susannah whispered, rubbing her back.

" Why are you sorry? It's not your fault. " Matilda shakily told her,

Susannah sighed, her voice breaking, " I couldn't be the other mom you needed. " she responded, tears streaming down her own face.

Matilda then hugged her again tighter, " you have been the other mom I needed, and I'm so grateful for that " she told her firmly, as they both cried, " I'm so sorry Susannah. "

Susannah pulled away from the hug, smiling reassuringly despite the tears, " it's okay, I'm content with it honey. I'm very happy. " she told her.

After a few more minutes, Susannah sighed, " Connie really wants to see you right now, so I'm going to see Laurel, and how she's doing. " she smiled softly, as she stood up.

Matilda nodded, watching Susannah leave. she felt her heartbreak more each moment.

After not even a minute, Conrad came into the room, his eyes all bloodshot, and his face stained with tears.

" Conrad " Matilda breathed out, destroyed by the state of him. Conrad smiled weakly at her, as he stood just infront of the doorway.

" I'm so sorry " Matilda said, her voice wobbly,

Conrad nodded, trying to keep it together, before tears filled his eyes again. Matilda rushed over to him, pulling him into the tightest hug, holding him as he cried.

" it's really happening Tills. " Conrad sobbed, " it's real. "

Matilda lead him to go sit down, still hugging him. " shh, it's okay. " she whispered, as tears ran down her own face. " I've got you "

After a few minutes, of crying in eachother's arms, the two broke the hug, as Conrad looked at her sadly.

" Conrad, I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you, and you had to carry this alone. " Matilda told him,

Conrad shook his head, weakly smiling at her, " Don't be sorry, you tried getting me to tell you and I didn't. "

Matilda frowned, as she sighed, taking his hand in hers , " I'm gonna be here for you, every single step of the way, I promise. "

Conrad nodded, his eyes all puffy as he tried to be strong for her. " I'm gonna be here for you aswell. "

Matilda smiled as much as she could bring herself too, " we will get through this together. "