Chapter 10. True Potential.

Ming looked at me sheepishly. "You know I like you. Your roommates have already told you this. Since meeting you my feelings have gotten stronger. I will never force myself on you but I would like us to be friends? Is this possible?"

I knew I was blushing and there was no point in hiding it. "I don't have many friends. I was often teased when I was at school and I hated it, so at college I have purposely tried not to be noticed."

Ming gave a cheeky smile. "I noticed you, though."

"Yeah, so I've been told. I would like to be friends with you...., but it's just this gay thing that worries me. I don't want to be labelled that way."

"But you still do want to be friends with me though, right?"

It was Ming's sweet look at me as he said it that had me done for. If I was honest he already had me at 'Hello' so there was no point in denying that I wanted to be friends with him. I liked him and there was no point in playing about.

"Yes." I mumbled.

"Sorry Earth? I couldn't quite hear?" Ming asked, teasingly.

"I said Yes! You happy now? I want to be friends with you! Okay?"

Pond's face lit up. "Actually this is perfect. Khun Chiang has commanded that we all become close friends."

Ming and I both looked at him and then at each other.

"He is aware of the recent events in your life, of course Earth, and they all asked me to express their sadness for your loss. He senses that you will find comfort and an understanding in the three of us being friends. He says it will benefit us all. This is why, as a Prince and not Khun Chiang, he issued that as a command and not an order. He is also of the opinion that, you and I, Ming, will be able to help Earth to be more open, assisting him to reach his true potential, and in doing that, he believes it will help you too, and you will reach yours."

"How comes Khun Chiang is aware of my existence?" Ming asked. "I'm not a Merman?"

"He asked me about the human that had been assigned to me and what my opinion of you was. He was intrigued by my answer, and also the fact that you want to mate with Earth. I am commanded to report back to him on each of you, and on your progress in attaining your true potentials."

"My true potential?" I queried. "Do you even know what that is?"

"We could all see something special in you," Pond answered, "but we could also see that you are hiding yourself behind a protective wall, holding your potential from growing and developing. Until that wall is disassembled you will not be able to achieve the greatness that is destined for you."

Pond turned and looked at Ming. "I will now talk alone with Earth. He has private questions that only I can answer. Can you go and get some snacks and drinks? Do not hurry back and knock before re-entering. It is Earth's decision if he chooses to confide in you another time what we talk about in your absence."

After Ming had left, Pond motioned to me to sit down next to him on his bed.

"You have questions. I sense you are angry about a number of things. Before you ask them I will remind you that I will not lie to you. I will never do that, as it is not in my nature to do so. You may not like the truth, but that is your problem and not mine. Are you clear about this?"

"Yes," I answered, caught slightly off guard. "But what you see as the truth may not be the same as I see it. You told Khun Chiang that I was gay. How many times do I have to say I am not? At least Ming accepts it, so why can't you?"

"I have seen deep in your heart," Pond replied softly. "There is a conflict caused by your denial. I saw a reaction in your eyes when I removed my clothing. I saw how you looked at my body. I will not like you less because of your desires. I already like you because of what I saw in your heart. I told you we will be friends forever."