Chapter 50. Khon Kaen.

It was dark by the time we reached the hospital at Khon Kaen. Ming called his sister, Cherry, on her mobile to say we had arrived as they had previously agreed. She asked us to wait in the reception area for her to come and collect us.

When she arrived I stood to one side as Ming hugged and kissed her. I laughed to myself when she called him Tèā (Turtle in Thai) as it was obviously a throwback to the story of one saving him.

"This is my friend, Earth, that I told you about," he said as she looked in my direction.

I gave her my best smile as I traditionally greeted her.

She returned my greeting, giving me a warm smile. "Thanks for keeping him company on the way here. I was so relieved he wasn't driving all that way on his own."

"How's Dad?" Ming asked as she led us to the lifts.

"He's awake and chatting and they say he's quite stable," she answered as we entered the lift and the doors closed. "Mum's been with him all the time but we have to make her go home and rest soon otherwise she'll end up here too."

As we exited the lift Ming's mother was waiting for us. Again I stayed to one side as they greeted each other.

"Dad's just gone to the bathroom," she advised. "He's still fairly weak but they are pleased with his recovery. You must be a valued employee, Son, as your boss at the aquarium arranged for a specialist doctor to see him this afternoon. He called me earlier and told me not to worry about any of our medical payments, just send the bill to them. He said he would email Cherry the details."

Ming looked shocked. "Who was it who called, please Mum?"

Cherry pulled out her phone and showed Ming. He smiled and looked at me. "Khun Chiang? Well! I never. Pond must have told him."

"With what they have got going on," I replied, "this is amazing. Just shows you they mean what they say."

"Oh sorry Mum, This is my friend, Earth. It's because of him I have now made influential friends."

I blushed as I greeted her. "Pleased to meet you, Auntie."

"Khun Tukata?" A nurse called out. "Khun Lamon is back and asking for you."

I followed Ming and his family through into the private room where his father was sitting up in bed. Ming introduced me again and I returned his father's greetings.

"So you are Ming's roommate then?" He asked after Ming had kissed him on the cheek."

"Oh! No Uncle. I am a college friend. His roommate is very busy this week so I volunteered to accompany him."

Ming had a pleased look on his face. I knew he was wanting to tell them I was his boyfriend but it was down to him to say it and not me.

Ming chatted to his parents and sister while I stayed by the window looking out over the bright lights of the city. I had never been in this area before and I wondered if we would have time for sightseeing before we headed back. I took hold of the camera that hung from my neck and took some photographs.

Just under an hour later we were heading for Ming's home with his mother and Cherry in the back of our car, and me in the front with Ming. It had taken a little bit of hard persuasion by Ming to get his mother to leave. She looked very tired and quite stressed. The relief on Ming and Cherry's face when she relented and had come with us was plainly visible.

His mother, whilst pleasant and charming, never instigated a conversation with me and seemed a little uneasy. I hoped it was just that she was more concerned about her husband than with the boy her son had brought home.