Chapter 35. Trouble.

As Ming and I walked towards the beach in front of Pond and Chiang still giggling, I heard Pond talking. It was indistinguishable and I turned around and saw him with his finger in his ear, obviously giving instructions to his team. I don't know why I did it, a force of habit from doing it when I was with my mother and Star, maybe, but I just slipped my arm through Ming's and we carried on walking slowly towards the water's edge.

I suddenly realised, but left my arm there as it felt good and comfortable. I wondered what Ming was making of it.

"We best not go too close or Pond and Khun Chiang won't be able to walk with us," Ming advised, steering me away from the sea edge that was gently rolling in up the beach.

"How long does it take for their tails to appear then?" I asked.

"Between 10 and 15 seconds usually. Coming out is a bit harder. Once they reach the shallows of the ocean they can change back to legs once they touch land but need to dry properly or their tails can suddenly reappear. The warm winds usually dry them easily. In the aquarium or in buildings, it's very different, that's why they need help to dry using blowers. They actually need more help on land than they care to admit."

I turned to see where they were and nudged Ming.

Chiang had copied our linking of arms, and they were both deep in conversation. It made us both smile.

Once they caught up with us I linked arms with Chiang and all four of us walked along the beach for quite a way, talking and laughing about all manner of things.

I felt happy and relaxed, more so than I ever had done the past month and then a sadness overwhelmed me and tears began to fall.

Ming gave me his handkerchief and said nothing as I wiped the tears from my eyes and tried to smile.

"Brought back happy memories, did it?" He inquired. "Let's go back, and hopefully return to a far happier state of mind?" He put an arm around my shoulders, and I put my arm around his waist, leaning into him as we all started walking back towards the hotel.

"When my father was killed, I could not cry like you can, Earth," Pond said quietly. "I wanted to, but it would not come. I made a solemn vow that I would only do that once we had caught those who had killed him, and who were behind the attack. Then I will cry a thousand tears and cry no more, but also give thanks that my father saved the life of someone important to me."

It was sweet to see Chiang put his arm around Pond's waist, as I had done with Ming. They looked good together and the chemistry between them was alive and buzzing.

The conversations between us all were now light and humorous, which clearly they had instigated to dissipate my sadness. It had indeed worked. My sad mood had lifted and I felt invigorated after the walk and less anxious.

As we approached the hotel, shadowy dark figures appeared, but kept a distance from us. Chiang removed his arm from Pond's.

"They are friends, Earth, so no need for alarm," Pond said, aware of my thoughts, yet again.

Thahan was waiting alone for us at the perimeter gate, with what I would call an anxious look about him.

He addressed Pond and Chiang. "There was an important message for you after you left for your walk, Sirs. I would not risk sending it with a messenger. I took the decision to call out more security until you were safe back inside our grounds."

Pond placed a hand on my shoulder. "Wait here!" He ordered as he and Chiang then walked back out onto the beach with Thahan.

"What do you think has happened?" I asked Ming, sensing that whatever the message contained wasn't bringing good news.