Chapter 53. Air of Authority.

Four cups of coffee and various cakes and snacks later found me still sitting in the café and I suddenly noticed the time was almost 4pm.

I was just about to ring Ming and leave when my mobile rang. It was a withheld number.

I was just about to hit the red button when curiosity got the better of me and I hit the green accept button key.

"Hello?"

"Is that Khun Atthaphan, please?" A pleasant voice asked.

"Yes, Atthaphan Khunatipapisirisunkit speaking," I replied guessing who it was.

"My name is Songpob Sangsorn. Khun Khakanang Chaiprasit has asked me to call you at your request. I am sorry it is later than intended but I was told it was not urgent."

"That is correct. I wanted to make ......"

I was interrupted by Ming suddenly standing in front of me with a face like thunder.

"Can you hold for one moment, please?" I said into the phone as I held up a finger to Ming to wait. I pressed the mute key

"I am sorry Ming. I can explain more later. I have been busy making telephone calls ..... and this is a very important one. Can you just wait while I finish taking it?"

He nodded and sat down opposite me.

I beckoned him to lean forward and listen to the conversation, and then pressed the mute key to unlock it.

"I'm sorry about that. I understand that Chiang Charanachitta and Pond Jurangkool, have requested that you act on their behalf in their dealings with KPIC Limited. Khun Khakanang advises me the reason that they requested you was that you have had previous dealing with them. Are you at liberty to tell me how you made their acquaintance?"

"I have known Khun Pond for some time. I met Khun Chiang in his position as CEO of the Bangkok Marine World Aquarium a week or so ago and Khun Pond was there too. They both mentioned to me that they were wanting to do business with KPIC and that I was to arrange as much as I could with you. They said you are a trusted friend."

"Thank you. You have answered my question perfectly. I have advised Khun Khakanang that I would like you to deal with me only regarding any business that I have with Khun Pond and Khun Chiang. Please be aware that Khun Khakanang is a personal friend of my family and is now like a father to me. I expect him to be shown the utmost respect and courtesy but he is not to be advised of anything to do with the transactions we make with Khun Pond. Please tell me of any difficult questions that he asks in relation to them and I will advise you how to answer them if it is necessary."

"You will find me discreet in all my dealings. I have not heard from either Khun Pond or Khun Chiang since last week. Do you know when this business is likely to start?"

"It will be at least two weeks before I am in a position to proceed. In the meantime I have some private work that I want you to undertake. I have already asked Khun Khakanang to make some investigations for me and I want you to make the same investigations without him knowing at this stage. I will email you the details later. I stress that this information is most urgent and private. I hope you can understand my intention without me having to spell it out."

"Yes! Totally! If you do speak to our mutual associates please give them my regards and my thanks for their recommendation."

"I will want to meet with you once I return to Bangkok and when Khun Chiang and Khun Pond are available. Please give this personal matter priority and get back to me. Goodbye."

I didn't even wait for his reply and hit the end call button.

"What have you been up to?" Ming asked Ming as soon as the phone left my ear.