Chapter 19. Jealousy.

As soon as Yacht had gone back to the kitchen to check his staff had finished cleaning up, and Top had gone over and sat with Pond and Chiang, I began to tell the twins some of what had been proposed, in particular the top floor apartments and about what Pond had said about Pang and Golf.

Ming and River stayed at the other end of the table whispering between themselves, and it started to bother me. Ming was too busy whispering with River and paying a lot of attention to him, and not paying any attention to me.

I felt the first stabbing pangs of jealousy rearing its ugly head, although I hadn't quite realised that's what they were just yet.

I could see that River was definitely flirting with Ming. For example a hand placed on Ming's arm and left there far too long to be just an innocent gesture. I glared at River, wishing he would just move away from Ming.

To me, Ming wasn't being totally innocent either. It was the attentive looks that he was giving River that continued to fuel those pangs of jealousy.

I began to lose concentration and struggled to check my anger and keep it under control.

Instead of talking to the twins more about the proposal, I just sat there and sulked, leaving the twins to talk between themselves until it was time to leave.

On the way back to the dormitory I avoided talking to Ming as I walked back ahead of him with Korn and Karn. Pond had said he had to go with the others to soak but would be back later and would answer any questions that I had.

Karn could see I was angry and put his hand across my shoulders.

"If looks could kill, Ming would be dead by now. What's he done that's upset you? I have a feeling that you didn't like the way in which he spent the evening engrossed in deep whisperings with River. Whatever has got to you, don't sleep on it. It's best to talk it through. If this ambitious plan of theirs is going to work then you will need Ming on your side. Go up and talk with him while Pond is not around. Korn and I can go back to the room and will wait up for you."

I put my arm around Karn's waist and squeezed it. "Thanks, but I've had it for tonight. There's probably a logical explanation why but my brain is all scrambled now. I would have liked to have had his opinion as I'm being asked to do something major by them and I'm not sure I'm up to it."

"Nonsense!" He replied, shaking my shoulders. "I think you are and so do they, or they wouldn't have asked. I'm sure it will all work out okay. I feel it in my bones."

As we reached our dormitory building, Ming came and stood in front of me. "Do you want to come up and talk while we wait for Pond?"

"No!" I snapped frostily. "I've just said to Karn I've just about had it for tonight. Let's just leave it, and maybe meet for a coffee in the morning?"

I turned to walk away, and Ming grabbed my arm. "You seem a little bit off with me. Have I done something wrong?"

"I've always said if anyone has to ask that it means that they are feeling guilty about something." I pulled free from his grip and glared at him, my anger rising to the surface. I spun on my heels and walked quickly away, and in through the main doors without looking back.

Korn followed immediately behind me as I raced up the two flights of stairs and flounced into our room, taking off my shirt and thrashing my bed with it in anger.

Fortunately Golf wasn't back yet to witness my display.

"Hold up Earth! What's eating you?" Korn asked, pulling at my arm and spinning me round to face him. "That was not fair, was it? Poor guy only asked a question and you almost bit his head off. You seem to be making a habit of rounding on your friends at the moment. When's mine or Karn's turn, eh?"