Chapter 38. Waves To Surf.

Eventually I was so winded that I had to stop. I sat down against some rocks, well out of sight of the hotel. I was surprised, and if I am being honest, a little hurt that Ming didn't come after me.

I peered round the rocks and looked along the beach. No one was following me at all. I just laid back and closed my eyes, annoyed and angry still.

It must have been about 15 minutes later when my phone rang. It was Ming and I ignored it. It rang again and again, and I ignored it at least 6 times.

Eventually I picked up. "I don't want to talk about it, Ming!" I bellowed down the phone. "Why do you think I didn't pick up before?"

"It's not Ming. It's Pond."

I froze. I didn't know quite what to say but he answered that by carrying on talking.

"I know you are now regretting running off and are thinking how embarrassing it is to have to walk all the way back on your own. I too am sorry for the way I spoke to you. Your guests will be here soon and you cannot spoil their brother's birthday. If I walk towards you, will you walk towards me? We can meet in the middle and walk back together. Neither will have lost face and I hope we can return as friends again."

"Don't tell me you can read my mind from that distance, because I don't believe you!" There was a laughter of relief to my voice that I hoped Pond would hear and understand.

"I am good, but not that good. I know you better than you think. I am walking now."

I didn't have to think about it and answered, "So am I. Is Ming angry with me?"

"No I'm not," Ming's voice came on the phone. "I'm sorry I kicked you that hard. I could see Pond was angry with Khun Chiang and you .... Well! You were just being you. He's walking quickly towards you so don't hang about."

I didn't. I jogged back and then could see him in the distance. As we neared each other I slowed down to a walk and stopped a few yards in front of him.

We didn't say anything at first. We just looked at each other. I knew he was reading my mind and I played up, and started to think of terrible things.

I saw a smile ease onto his face.

I grinned back my cheekiest grin and we just walked into each other's arms and hugged. Pond then kissed me on the forehead, just like my brothers used to do.

"You are like a dear brother to me. I know your pain and suffering and I should have not been so harsh on you. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. I couldn't control my feelings at all. It's been ages since I've had a real temper tantrum like that. I've had a few rages recently but not like that. Pang and the DupliTwins have been on the rough end of my tongue over the past week or so."

Pond chuckled at my choice of word for the twins.

We placed our arms around each other's waist as we walked back. It was a nice feeling. Not at all sexual, far from it. It was the feeling that I used to have when I walked like that with my brothers. A feeling of being safe and secure.

"You have not come to terms with your father's death or the changes to your life, have you?"

I just ummed, nothing more.

"Although you are almost 18, you are still so young. To have had to deal with the events you have had to on your own cannot have been easy. You will get through all this. You will be a successful businessman and your mother will be so proud of you ....., but with someone as emotional as you, it will take time. Don't worry about doing things right...., you can afford to pay others to do it for you. Just keep yourself informed."