Some Sort of Moron

Summary: The kindness you showed a stranger baffles Baekjin.

***

The street lights illuminated your path, as you headed home. You had just finished a late shift at the convenience store that was a few blocks from your apartment. You were fighting against the urge to just drag your feet, your body sore and mind foggy from the exhaustion. You were tired. It wasn't just the work that was physically straining, but also dealing with the customers that drained you. This was your first job in a service position, and you had learned one thing about these types of jobs, in the few days you were employed. People could be the worst sometimes. You didn't want to be a negative person, but holy hell was it hard when dealing with some customers.

Today was a particularly tiring day. You had been yelled at by someone who insisted their expired coupon was still valid. You had to deal with some guy who broke the new coffee pot when he slammed it on the countertop. There was coffee everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Even after wiping down all the surfaces and mopping the floor, you still found little flecks of drying coffee in random spots, such as the walls, behind the machines, and on your new shoes throughout your shift. You weren't even near the splash zone, but somehow, your nice and clean shoes got coffee on them. You could see the stains setting on the white laces right now.

The only highlight of your shift was your friend and regular, Jack Kang, who came in and scared off the rude customers before getting his usual; cigarettes and banana milk. You two chatted a bit before he had to leave to attend some gathering. You had met him at some party you were dragged to, some two months ago. The next day, when he had walked in during your shift, he recognized you and since then you two had developed some sort of friendship. He had even found you a second job dealing with the paper work at his brother's auto shop. If he had time he'd walk you home, if not, he'd text you to make sure you got home safe. He was mostly a quiet guy, but he liked to talk if it was about cars and motorcycles. You had limited knowledge, but you enjoyed asking him questions, just to see him passionately talk about some old car he was restoring with his brother. It was a bit adorable how much he geeked out about cars.

Unfortunately, as soon as Jack left you were met with another rude customer who was upset that you didn't have his brand of cigarettes available. Followed by a shoplifter, who was dressed in clothes that cost more than your monthly salary. He was definitely just doing it for the thrill of stealing, like the klepto he was. Your coworker managed to chase him down and get the stolen goods back, but you had to clean up the mess they made running through the store. And that was just... real fun and nice, having to deal with that.

You were considering quitting; the problem was that you were still in high school. What type of job could you get if it weren't the minimum wage, soul crushing, stuff like this? You had a few gigs on the side, that were not stressful because of people, but stressful because of the paperwork. And while you would take paperwork over dealing with rude people any day, it wasn't full time or even part time. Just some accounting gigs you did to help an old friend and Jack's brother.

Maybe you could take your friend, Yoon-ah's, advice and try for a hostess job like she did. She walked around in fancy clothes and shoes all the time, thanks to the gifts from her loyal customers. Were you willing to sell your company like that? You didn't know how she was able to smile and pretend to be attracted to some middle-aged creep who was perving on a high school girl... you didn't think you could deal with it. All the power to Yoon-ah for being able to do that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Of course, as a last resort, you'd do what needed to be done to make rent. After all, you were trying to support yourself here and you didn't like the idea of going hungry or sleeping in the streets.