A Simple Question

Summary: You learn what Baekjin meant.

***

Your time in school had been relatively peaceful since Baekjin sort of confirmed during class that you were his girlfriend. It had been almost an entire week since then, and you were pleased to see that he was right. People did leave you alone now. Your classmates gave you and Yoon-ah a wide berth in the hallways after his announcement. Some even went as far as to try and apologize. You didn't know how long it'd last, but it was nice not having to deal with the bullying and rumors.

Well, there was still rumors, but now they were different. Someone posted on their social media a video from the party, Baekjin walking towards you like a man on a mission. This was followed by a picture of him hugging you after he had placed his hoodie on you. What they didn't know was that he was only holding you like that so you wouldn't fall over due to your inebriated state. Now, the post itself wasn't a problem, it was what Baekjin commented that started the new rumors. He decided to comment under the post a heart emoji, and the people who followed him lost their collective shit. Since then the rumors were that it was a love at first sight encounter. You honestly wanted to laugh. Love at first sight... the guy was pretending to be your boyfriend just to get his stalker from bothering you. You two hadn't even seen each other since that day in school.

And speaking of the stalker, Alice had ended up suspended for about a day. Her father was at the school the next day, threatening the faculty if they didn't rescind her suspension. She tried to come back as if nothing happened, but everyone was keeping their distance from her for the time being. It seemed that people feared Baekjin more than they liked her. You didn't know if she'd continue her harassment campaign once her power in the school hierarchy was stabilized again, but you knew she was still trying to start shitty rumors. You had heard the ones that said your relationship with Baekjin was fake or out of pity. And you thought it was funny how she was correct, but had no way of proving it.

Considering how peaceful it had been, even Jack and Jimmy eventually accepted that they had been wrong about Baekjin, at least about this issue. When you asked them to elaborate, Jimmy would start groaning and Jack would roll his eyes at his reaction to what you thought was a simple question. Didn't look like they were willing to involve you in Union business, and you were glad. You didn't want to know what Baekjin's gang got up to.

They didn't seem too happy with you being Baekjin's "girl" but they promised to make sure nobody messed with you outside of school. Jimmy still tried to convince you to transfer, not to Daehyeon, but to a school outside of Yeongdeungpo, just in case. Because maybe one day, being in Baekjin's debt would bring you more trouble. Distancing yourself now would best. And while you understood his reasoning, you just couldn't move. It was financially impossible and you weren't even close the end of your lease, and you definitely didn't have enough for a deposit for a new place.

For now, you were stuck in your apartment, and you weren't too upset about that. You had managed to make it a home in the short amount of time you had been there. Last weekend, Jack had gotten you an old dining table from one of his aunts who was moving away. He helped you sand it in the parking lot before taking it up so you could whitewash the wood. It matched the chairs you bought online, and fit perfectly in your apartment.

Jimmy helped as well by dropping off even more potted plants. Turns out his mom thought Jimmy was giving them to a secret girlfriend and kept passing him new ones she grew herself for Jimmy to gift to you. Jimmy casually mentioned that you'd probably need to go to his house one day and let his mom know you two weren't together, because she was getting too excited about her "daughter-in-law" and was already telling everyone she knew. You didn't know how much you liked your friend's mom thinking you were her son's girlfriend, but you did have a wonderful collection of plants now because of her misunderstanding, so you weren't too bothered.