Chapter Eight: OFFICER INSERT

The trip to Melvin was long. Trevon's excitement finally wore him down. Uncle Clint found and tucked a scratchy old blanket up around his nephew's chin. There he remained for the rest of the flight. Clint couldn't help but watch him for several minutes. Ari always remind him of his cousin and best friend Ben. Almost to the point it was unsettling. Trevon on the other hand was a wonderful mix of both their parents. The fact that he had magic was a bonus.

It hurt Clint to think how much harder life was going to be for his nephew, but he found comfort in the fact it happened to Trevon and not his impulsive sister. Plus he had inherited his mother's ability. A choice ability. A wanted ability. His other option was far more complicated for a kid of his temperament to handle.

A faint beeping from Clint's short range communicator pulled him from his thoughts. It was his private line. Within thirty minutes of Melvin meant a stronger signal and a connection was easily made.

He pulled the comm device from its place on the console, and slipped out of the pit into the back cargo. He brushed his finger across the contraption and Mackay's face appeared on the screen. Her red hair pulled up in its usual conservative high pony, bangs brushing across her dark eyebrows. She wore her whites, or dress uniform, suggesting she was headed to a media event.

Her clear blue eyes looked to be holding back a curse word or two. "Why do I have a security brief stating that one, Ariana Kana, was arrested for illegally boarding a transport shuttle without authorization?"

"It's been an exciting trip," Clint said throwing in a small half smile in hopes of defusing the commander's mood. "Don't worry. I reviewed notice she's on a transport headed back to the space station."

"That's where you wanted her, not me." Mackay's tone instantly switched from irritated to teasing. Yet she stopped when she saw Clint's expression failed to change. "It's worth a try to keep her safe. But so is the proposal you submitted eight years ago."

"The one that would have gotten both of us fired if any officials caught wind of it?" Clint was hesitant when Mackay nodded - Her sense of humor still difficult to read.

"There are still too many official government supporters that won't approve it. On a large scale, you're correct, but there might be enough for a small discreet experiment." She scratched the back of her neck. "It'll take some extra research to update the names but you know President Warrington pretty well right? Do you think he can help?"

The timing couldn't be worse, "We might have to hold out on that. I am already preparing to ask him a favor."

"What favor could be more important than your controversial thesis?"

"Trevon."

"I also got notice Trevon missed his shuttle." She leaned forward on her desk, "So you're the culprit in that as well?"

"I caught him avoiding the Tirragen Shuttle. Turns out he wants to go to Melvin." She didn't ask way. Clint allowed the silence to linger. The thing about Commander Mackay is not that she's good at puzzles but her brain can rapidly place together obscure facts into an accurate conclusion.

"You're taking him to enroll in MUSS. Does he take after Carolyn?" A large smile across his lips, Clint nodded. Mackay's hand wiped sweat, real or imaginary, from her forehead. "Okay. We have a Mage."

BACK TO STORY