Chapter Twenty Two: TREVON

Russ kicked off his shoes and carefully set them by the door, an interesting action based on the state of his side of the room. "Still having a hard time getting comfortable?" He motioned to Trevon's current sitting position. Everything he had, had been carefully placed in the top shelf of the dresser his new course books were carefully stalked on the foot of his bed. Trevon himself sat crosslegged in the center of his bed with an e-book in his lap. Nothing out of the ordinary to Trevon. "Remember I told you to make yourself at home."

Trevon started at the word. Home. "You know, you keep using that word."

"What word?"

"Home."

"What of it?"

Trevon pointed to himself, "Orphanage Space station."

Russ let the words roll around in his head for a moment, "You look comfortable. Nice shirt." Trevon pulled at the soft planet fabric that Russ had referred to. He loved the airy feel but he was still getting used to it.

"I braved the closet." Trevon said.

"You and Robie match sizes though he's a bit taller."

Trevon put his e-book down and leaned forward on his knees. "Who is Robie?"

Russ looked up from his whiteboard. "Huh?"

"Nicki said something about you waiting for Robie to get here," Trevon explained. "And you said as long as he doesn't chicken out and come back, the space is mine."

Russ laughed. "I didn't mean that. Even if Robie comes back, the space is still yours. Robie is one of the most laid-back people on the planet."

"So he's still on the planet?" Trevon noted. Russ chuckled but offered no additional information. "Seriously, who is this guy? And where is he since he's not here?"

Russ went back to running diagrams on the whiteboard, directing their paths with his fingers. "He's a friend and my cousin. Right now he's at a special training program," he said vaguely. "If he does well, you may not meet him at all."

Something about his roommate's tone suggested this was a sensitive topic. If he were Ari, she'd keep pushing until she got a straight answer but Trevon was more patient.

He sighed glancing over at the computer set-up in the corner. Trevon wondered what kind of lecture Ari had gotten when they dropped her off at Meckem. He imagined her with extra labor time in the mess. Or even janitorial in the girls bunks and washrooms. She would be so mad at him if he disclosed what had actually happened on Midway, or where he was at now.

How angry will she be when he tells her that he'd passed on the Academy to come to a planet and work at the stables.

He looked away from the computer. No, not yet. He couldn't face her yet. Whatever messages she had sent to him, whatever response he was supposed to give, he couldn't do it. Not yet.

"I have to go to library later, do you want to come with me?" Trevon offered. A sharp, gagging noise from Russ completed his side of the conversation. Trevon smirked, "I get it you loath the library," Ari would too. But the physical books with paper pages and leather covers still sent a thrill down Trevon's arms.

"What are you reading today?"

Trevon's hands returned to the book in his lap, "Medical school journals. The university recommend's Healers attend Medical School. I would need money, clan connections, get admitted to and graduate from this school first, but to go to Medical School - How amazing is that." He was filled with awe at the possibility, not matter how distant.

"Nicki's grandma is picking medical schools for her. I always thought that was stupid. Go through all the pain to become a doctor but not being allowed to become one."