Chapter Fifteen: TREVON

Trevon stifled a belly laugh as he walked back down the hallway and out into the sunlit courtyard. Being called on specifically for his lack of knowledge not to mention completing a an assignment on material he had no idea about had put him on edge. But he appreciated the professors sense of humor.

Students all around him had set to work on the packet. Frantically reading questions and scribbling down answers. Pages turned quickly and Trevon couldn't help but feel he was falling behind in a sprint to finish. In an attempt not to rush recklessly through he took a deep breath and focused on the first page which read,

Directions: Welcome to my class. Our first unit will be on Collective History of Magic. This course is a starting board for the proper use of your abilities. It will help you hone your Mana, use resources around you to protect your mana, and show you the limitations of Magic in the human world today. You are welcome to answer every question in this packet but credit will not be given. for it. All you need to complete this assignment is to write your name at the top followed by the important detail I said after I told you to read the instructions.

Stunned Trevon looked around again. Almost everyone was writing furiously. Even the girl beside him was impressively on question six which read,

Question 6: What do you know about elemental manipulation and theory?

Curious, he turned a page and glanced at another,

Question 12: Identify as many plants as you can, which have the ability to enhance magical ability.

Impressed at the idea plant's could do that, he turned to another question.

Question 15: Describe the process of mana flow.

A sharp pain began taping behind Trevon's left eyeball. He understood what the professor was getting at. Trevon took the pen in his hand, and just as he would use a stylist he pressed it to the top of the paper. Writing carefully -

Name: Trevon Kana. You said, I would discover for myself that I know nothing. And you are right. Please teach me everything.

He quickly collected all of his papers and, not having a bag, he held them close to his body. He began to shuffle past Nicki. A quick glance to see that the professor wasn't looking, he grabbed the girls paper and turned it back to the front.

Startled Nicki froze but she didn't break eye contact with her assignment. Trevon tapped the front three times, then slipped down to the professor, handed in his paper and quickly retreated with the measly the hope his desk-mate had caught on.

Trevon's mind was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn't realize the moment Nicki had fallen into step beside him until she spoke up.

"So . . . Kana, huh?"

Trevon looked up at her sharply, she'd had that hesitation over his last name on their previous encounter. "What about it?"

Nicki laughed, trying to put him at ease. "I just meant, nice name."

A small frown tugged at the corner of his mouth. "People usually don't say it that way unless they've met my sister."

"Little sisters are a pain." Russ butted in, coming out of nowhere, stepping in front of the pair to halt their progress through the middle of the courtyard.

Nicki rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smirk in her expression. "Ever so, cynical, Russ."

Trevon looked between the two. "You know each other?"

"Too well," Russ grinned. "And what do you mean, cynical? I'm just saying that all little sisters are trouble."

Trevon nodded, unable to stop himself. "Especially when they're high on the genius spectrum."

Russ quirked his head, "So you have met my sister."

"Your sister's smarter than you too?" Trevon asked. Both Nicki and Russ exchanged amused looks before Russ gave Trevon a not so gentle pat on the back.

"Didn't I tell you Nicki, at first glance I knew Trevon and I had a lot in common." Said Russ. A look of pity took over Nicki's face. "Even if he sucks at healing." He rubbed the bandaged limb.

"I disagree, I thought he did pretty good." Nicki's expression did a 180. "You have bragging rights, that break was a huge level up."

Trevon smiled too, but shook his head. "I'm not much of a bragger."

"And that's something the two of you do NOT have in common." Russ shot her another sarcastic look which she returned by childishly sticking out her tongue.

"Did he show it to you before," Trevon's expression did a 180 "Are you the friend that fixed it?"

"I just got it to where it can finish healing on its own." She smiled, a slight blush touching her cheeks. "It was truly serendipitous you were there when it happened. Him being too stubborn to ask for help. You saved him from a night of writhing in pain."

"To be fair, you were the reason I was there, Nicki." Trevon said hoping to keep the smile on Nicki's face.

"What do you mean?" Russ asked.

"She was the secretary in President Warrington's office that sent me home with Paul." Trevon said.

The redhead's smile changed to intrigue, turning to his long time friend. "Nicki? What were you doing in the presidents office?"

"Not right now Russ." Nicki cleared her throat.

"To proud to ask for my help?" It was obvious Russ didn't get many opportunities to feel superior Nicki. Trevon could read the joy in Russ' expression very clearly as he continued to poke fun at her. "I have this whole computer system in my room, guaranteed by Tara herself, to do exactly what you needed. And instead of humbling yourself to asking me to use it, you decided to highjack the secretary's computer?"

"Don't make me hurt you," Nicki glared.

Beginning to feel uncomfortable with the friction, building between these two and because, for some reason, he suspected Nicki was capable of re-breaking Russ' wrist. Trevon decided to change the subject. "I saw that computer in your room," he said.

"Our room." Russ corrected. "And yes it takes up a lot of your space but Robie and I usually share that corner."

"That's okay," he replied. "Would I be able to use it every once in a while? Not being in contact with my sister is kind of, hard."

"Where is she at?" Nicki asked.

"She's in transition," Trevon settled on sharing only a half truth.

"That room as your home Trevon, use what you want. That includes the system. Just don't let Nicki use it." He leaned over and pretended to whisper, "She has to swallow her pride and ask."

Nicki's fists tightened and though she didn't actually lunge for Russ, the red-head was quick enough to clear out before she did. Giving a brisk goodbye as he shuffled backwards, disappearing into another crowd of students headed in the opposite direction.

"Anyway," Nicki tried relaxing a little. "Do you get to audit another class?"

Fumbling with the strange sheet of paper, Trevon opened it. "Yes. They got let me into an introductory Healers course."

"Then you're with me." She looped her arm in his and pulled him hard enough he almost dropped everything in his arms.