Chapter Eleven: TREVON

President Roderick Warrington was a gray-haired man of thick build and thick eyebrows. They fairly bristled above blue eyes that sharply took in Trevon and his faded clothes. "Looks like you're all getting settled." He said eyeing the destroyed hallway. Though he seemed more interested in Trevon. Slowly approaching.

"I know it looks bad, but it's all under control." Paul said his confidence weakening with the school's president in the room.

"Don't worry Paul, I don't do dorm evaluations." The old man gave Paul a solid pat on the shoulder before approaching Trevon and Russ. Trevon's mouth went dry. Did he do something wrong? He was inexperienced, was he not supposed to use his ability? The President didn't say anything more until he took Russ' wrist and examined.

"Still seems tender." the president observed.

"It is." Russ winced. "But he did pretty good. It'll hold me over until the medical office opens tomorrow."

The president nodded, releasing Russ' hand, "Go wrap it to keep the swelling under control."

Russ nodded. Putting his good hand on Trevon's shoulder he pulled him close, lowing his voice so that only Trevon could hear. "If things don't go well. Come find me on fourth floor." Giving Trevon a friendly goodbye nudge, the redhead disappeared down the hall, along with the final lingering on lookers.

"President Warrington." Paul's voice took advantage of the silence. "We were told you were in the city until tomorrow."

"I got an interesting comm earlier this afternoon." He paused again to look at Trevon. "It didn't mention anything about you being a healer though."

"You got a comm about me?" Trevon was a bit stunned. Had uncle Clint sent word after he dropped him off? And was that going to help or - not?

The old man nodded again looking Trevon over again. "Follow me Mr. Kana."

Trevon obeyed. Glancing over at Paul, hoping for some sign of encouragement. Paul merely shrugged. The President lead Trevon back out the front door. The sun was sinking lower in the sky, making the street lights more prominent in the shadows. The porch was large with several chairs. The old man took one and motioned for Trevon to take another.

Sitting cautiously Trevon was still surprised when the chair rocked back with his added weight and caught himself from being flung forward. The President waited for Trevon to gain control of the sitting arrangements. Then he folded his hands in his lap. "You have some pretty important family, Mr. Kana."

Trevon's head bowed slightly at the statement. "I hoped to talk to you about admission into your university."

"The comm I mentioned before, was a recommendation letter. Two actually." President Warrington said, holding his head up. "You certainly have influential connections within the Military. Not to mention your father had a great Military career." He smiled in a way that might have been sympathetic, if it weren't for the coldness of his eyes. "Perhaps you should rethink your Academy acceptance."

Trevon lifted his head, "With my current skill set it was obvious the University would be a better fit."

The old man frowned. "Are you sure it's not because you don't think you can cut it at the academy?"

Something inside Trevon burned. He'd been ignored before, and often took such treatment without a word of complaint. This was different - "You don't know me very well, President Warrington." His voice held its usual patience, but there was a stronger quality to it that caught the attention of the University President. "I understand that; being on a station circuit hasn't allowed me to make very many outside connections."

The President's interest was recaptured.

"But that was through no choice of my own." Trevon continued. "I do have family connections, and even those aren't as strong as they might have been had I not been confined to a space station most of my life." He leaned forward, green eyes alight with some conviction Trevon couldn't explain. The words seemed to grow on their own, and were said without any effort. "Being an orphan on that station was a huge struggle. Not many station dwellers like orphans; most tend to pick fights with them. I was fourteen when I discovered I had a talent for healing."

He saw something flicker in the President's eyes. He hadn't been wrong before. The President had seen him use his ability, and he suspected that was the only reason they were having this conversation.

"I've been self taught since I was fourteen years old. Practicing on my sister, though they were only minor injuries, she was the type that gave me plenty of opportunities." He wet his mouth, thinking over his next words carefully. "You can't deny me entry."

"Excuse me—"

Trevon held up a hand. "Let me rephrase. You want to help me get in. There was something about the ability to heal - It's rare isn't it?" President Warrington frowned, suddenly looking uncomfortable. "I'm right, aren't I?"

President Warrington studied the boy in front of him, carefully and for a very long time. There seemed to be a battle going on inside his head, one Trevon wasn't sure he could comprehend. Finally he spoke. "You are right. The ability to heal is very rare, and after witnessing a self taught beginner, heal a clean fracture, I wanted to admit you right away." Trevon slid to the edge of his moving chair, stomach tightening in suspense. "But the board isn't only full of proud - old goats, as Mr. Mikayo stated. It's also full of Clan leaders. And they won't grant special treatment to a military recommendation."

Trevon wanted to ask why but the man wasn't done speaking.

"Now, you are welcome to apply and enroll for next semester with everyone else. Being a healer, there will be scholarships available for you." The President stood up and extended his hand to Trevon. Trevon stood but wasn't sure what to do after that. Timidly Trevon decided to hold out his hand too, and the President snagged it mid-air, in a firm grip. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you Mr. Kana."

Trevon's hand tightened around the Presidents he wanted to hold on to his hand, keep the President from leaving until Trevon could think of a way to change his decision. But nothing was coming to mind. The old man had to pull his hand from his excited grip in order to walk down the steps onto the street.

Trevon cursed his non confrontational personality. Maybe if he'd fought more for himself in the past, he'd be able to change the mind of the entire board. If he could get in front of the board, but there was no time. Grabbing a fist full of his own hair, Trevon tried to stay calm. This was the only time he'd ever wished he was more like Ari. Whenever things went wrong she fought, or forced her way back in.

Releasing his hair Trevon remembered what Russ had whispered before leaving. 'If things don't go well', was it possible he might be of help?

Turning Trevon dashed back into the house. The fourth floor was easy enough to find. From what Trevon had observed it was the most popular place to be. Boys jostled each other in the halls, laughing and talking - apologizing when they accidentally ran into the unknown visitor. There were so many of them it was clear he wouldn't find Russ on his own anytime soon.

Heaving his bag higher on his shoulder Trevon reached out to touch a passing boy on the arm.

"Sorry," he said, apologizing for interrupting the boy, "are you new here?"

"Yep, just moved up three floors, too." He grinned, as if it was a great accomplishment. Considering the organization of dorms by clan rank, it probably was.

"Then you probably wouldn't know where I could find Russ."

The boy laughed. "Everyone knows Russ," he replied. "Follow me."

They went down the hall, ducking around a knot of rough-housing boys, up to a smaller group resting on padded folding chairs outside their rooms as they played some kind of card game.

"Russ," Trevon's guide called out. "You have a visitor."

With his hand freshly wrapped and a bit of a drugged flush in his cheeks, the redhead tousled his hair as he grinned down at Trevon. Feeling a little self conscious, Trevon shrugged. "You said if things didn't go well."

Those red locks bounced in a nod. "Do you like to read, Trevon Kana?"