Chapter Nine: TREVON

The entry was floored with brown granite, polished to reflect white walls lined with old portraits. Trevon headed to the gleaming wood staircase directly in front of him, up stairs covered in a deep red fabric. It ended on a landing that overlooked the floor below, lit by a beautiful revolving chandelier; Trevon spared a moment to admire it, subconsciously straightening his collar and running fingers through his hair to tame it. Then it was left. Through the door, down a white-walled, red-carpeted hall, until he reached the alcove at the end.

When his uncle dropped him off and told him where to go, Trevon thought he was prepared for what he would encounter. But even the faint images from his childhood couldn't compare to this structure and the details inside of it.

There was a row of plush armchairs lining the wall, opposite a large desk. He did a double-take at the figure seated behind the desk - her casual clothing and young face were not what he'd pictured for the University President's personal secretary.

"Hello!" he said brightly.

His greeting was drowned out when, the girl slammed something shut on the desk in front of her, flipping the monitor off and throwing her arms over the screen. She panted a flushed, "huh" before looking at him. Body stiffened by the startled reaction to presence, Trevon stood in silence for several long moments.

Clearing her throat, the young girl pushed her long, dark brown hair to its rightful place behind her shoulders. "Sorry for that. How can I help you?"

Trevon hesitated for a moment. He was sure he'd caught the secretary doing something she wasn't supposed to be doing. In her earlier years, Ari had the same reaction at times he'd caught her messing around with games and files she wasn't supposed to be tampering with. But what this girl was doing it wasn't his business.

"My name's Trevon Kana. I was hoping to meet with the President?"

Her aquamarine eyes crinkled. "He's not in today. But I can set you up for a meeting tomorrow afternoon. I think I have his schedule somewhere around here -" The girl fumbled around the desk, turning back on the monitor she'd indiscreetly turned off. Something about the way she moved made Trevon suspect she didn't belong behind the desk.

"Actually, I was hoping to get admitted as a student before the semester starts, so it's really important. I came straight here from a 36 hour shuttle ride. It's my first time on a Clone Earth, I don't have anywhere to go. Is there another way to contact him?"

The girl paused for a moment, looking Trevon over before standing. "Look Trevon -"

"Kana."

"Kana." She paused again after saying his name but seemed to shake off whatever thought she had in connection with it. "Let me level with you here. I'm not the usual secretary. The usual girl, who is the president's granddaughter. She had to leave for the evening and she asked me to sit at the desk and tell everyone that came, to come back tomorrow." Trevon was fascinated by how much the girl used her hands as she spoke. They were simple movements, but each twitch seemed very deliberate. "So even if you really need to speak with him. I can't do anything to help you."

"Got it," Trevon swallowed. He knew pushing her wouldn't help any, but now he had a bigger problem than trying to talk his way into school. "Last question, and then I'll let you get back to your very secretive computer game." She flushed red again. "Do you know of a place, or a corner really, I might be able to sleep in?"

This time her response was less tense and more sincere. "You really did just get here from space, didn't you?" Trevon felt his cheeks tighten into a thin smile.

"Nicki? Why are you behind Raines' desk?" A new voice interrupted their silent exchange.

"Work experience?" she shot back.