Chapter Thirty One: TREVON

Trevon waited for Robie who gave a small chuckle as turned his full attention to Trevon. "Ask me."

"I understand Clans are families, but the way you talk about them they seem like so much more."

Empathy filled Robie's expression. A blip from the computer briefly called his attention away from Trevon, but quickly he cleared the screen and turned to rummage through the clutter beside Russ' bed. Pulling out a digital whiteboard and stylist marker. "Clans are the primary organization of mages." Robie stated, writing out the word with a finger. "And you're right - they are made up of families."

He drew a few small circles at the bottom of the board and added larger circles above them. "Generally speaking, the bigger the family and clan, the longer magic has been in that clan. Which also elevates a clan's status. Status is important because the top clans make up what's called the Clan Council." Robie poked at the larger circles, dragging them farther up the board before drawing a pale outline around them.

Trevon realized he was leaning far enough forward on his bed he was in danger of falling out. Feeling a bit sheepish, he shifted his weight farther back, still a clear view of Robie's diagram.

"The Clan Council is responsible for regulating the clans and mages, to help keep them secret and safe."

"You said Government already does that."

Robie's face darkened. "Technically the Government are the big ones in charge." His tone soured, and with the recent restrictions put on them it made sense why. "But the Clan Council is responsible for implementing their edicts and holding the Mage community accountable for any infractions."

Trevon nodded to himself and glancing over at Russ, "So mistakes are met with community service and not government legal accountability."

"Especially for hot headed young adults." Robie wiped the board clear with his palm.

"So that's why they suggested a clan-less student like me, continue making strong clan ties? For my protection?"

"To protect themselves. It's a delicate balance, and one unrestrained mage could create panic, resulting in more restrictions. What actually happened is they decided you're worth their time instead of allowing the government to take you to some prison somewhere." Robie put the board back where he'd found it, under some random clutter. "But don't think that diminishes your talent. Healing talents are rare. The fact that you can heal at any successful level, with a few months of training. That's nothing short of extraordinary." Trevon's expression narrowed slightly, and Robie instantly knew why. "Nicki's got a big mouth. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind." Trevon laughed, "But you got me thinking. Everyone says the healing ability is rare, are there other abilities just as rare?"

Robie hand went to the back of his head, ruffling loose the unseen locks while Russ rolled onto his side "Yes. Why?"

Trevon felt his response was more abrasive than usual, "I was wondering why I haven't heard of any here at the University."

Russ sat up his long legs hanging off the short bed. "All magic is backed by science; elements, physics, all of that. Healing is rare within that sphere but there are other magics that don't have scientific bases. Those are ones not even Mage talk about."

"Why don't Mage talk about them?"

"Lack of understanding?" Robie suggested, "Unable to define them scientifically makes them unknown and the unknown is scary." Trevon tried to muffle a laugh. The fact that Mages didn't advertise things they were afraid of because their lack of understanding, made it more interesting they hated the government for doing the exact same thing, when it came to all magic.