Chapter Thirty Two: ARI

Unlike the rest of her journey the last two hours passed quickly as they headed straight to dark side of the planet. Not even a piece of space debris crossed their path resulting in a direct route. Ari's heart fluttered suspecting ZIG had succeeded in clearing the space around the planet.

The planets sun crested the cloudy horizon the moment they broke atmo. Ari watched the constantly changing scenery in wonder. At first they descended into white fluffy clouds which broke across the ships bow periodically opening up to an inky blue sky. Farther still the clouds darkened blocking most of the natural sky lighting and swirling a mixture of water droplets across the viewing window. Then all at once the cloud fell away, revealing land far below coated in what should have been a dreary shadow but the scatter of green of spiny trees bending in the breeze dusted in a bright layer of pure white. Even with no star providing light the ground appeared to glow, brightening the entire settlement for their approach.

Quickly dismissing herself from the flight deck Ari ran for her duffle. Scooping up her meager belongs she shoved everything inside, but before latching it closed she switched on her personal. The link was primed to access ZIG and she quickly wrote a message:

ARI: Landing on Melvin. Thank you for the clear path.

She added the longitude and latitude that she'd seen on her way out, then turned off her device and shoved it into the bottom of her bag. Slinging it over her shoulder she heard the hiss of landing gear, the alternating pressure between the engines prompting her to brace for landing.

Taking firm hold of the cold metal handle by the doorframe she widened her stance until she felt the shutter beneath her feet as the ship settled on solid ground.

Ari exhaled relaxing her shoulders and stretching the knots in her neck. There was an added ease to her exhale, she made it.

"Out we go," Farris announced, sliding down the steps from the platform above. He instantly set to work collecting parts into a large crate attached to a four wheeled vehicle. "Turn on your tablet."

Ari froze trying to look innocent.

"I know you have one, turn it back on."

Ari slid the bag from her shoulder and reached deep into the bottom to retrieve her hidden comm.

"Are you going to trade this too?"

"That's an idea, but no." He snatched it from her hands, turned it on and made a few quick swipes across the screen before handing it back to her. "That's a map of the nearest local transport. If you're not here when I get back, I'll assume you took it. I will not go looking for you."

"Wait. Shouldn't I help make sure you get the right price for all this? I worked hard upgrading and programing..."

The way his one eyebrow lifted to look at her almost prompted Ari to laugh. "I know better than you how to make a proper trade." He opened the cargo doors, climbed onto the vehicle and paused. "I thought you would be anxious to leave and find people."

"I've never been on a planet before," Ari felt a blush touch her face, "Won't I need money?"

"You will." He answered. With a flip of a switch and the press of button the vehicle hummed loudly to life, giving Farris the excuse of ignoring anything Ari shouted at him as he drove away. Down the ramp and onto the crunch of gravel and the white stuff that rested on it.

Ari expected to smell pure oxygen but it was mixed with a strange metallic taste. She followed the smell out into the chilled breeze to see they had parked in a large open patch of land. It faced a long alley of tall purple metal walls that stretched north, south and straight ahead. Actual people were scattered here and there. They mostly wore one piece of clothing from top to bottom and large boots. The colors were just as drab as the ones Ari wore. In fact, they resembled the maintenance workers on Meckam.