What Lies Beneath 45-46

~45~

"Okay Paige but promise me you'll let me do this on my own." Paige pulled her up to look at her.

"I can promise you that but I can't promise what Sav will do. He's liable to freak. Let me go get him." Victoria began shaking uncontrollably and sat there terrified that Joe would walk in the door any second and guess that she'd been talking to Paige.

Sav and the guys were playing soccer when Paige appeared in the door. "Hey Sav, would you come in here? I need to talk to you."

Sav kicked the ball to Phil and walked up to the house. "What's up luv? You look like you've seen a ghost." Paige ushered him inside and shut the door.

"Just come with me, it will all be evident in a minute." Paige opened the door to the den and Sav entered behind her.

"Victoria, Sav's here. Do you want me to tell him or do you want to?" Victoria shook her head.

"I can't tell him. I just can't." Victoria protested her voice cracking.

Sav looked from Victoria to Paige confused. "What's going on Paige?" Sav asked concerned.

"Sav, there's just no easy way to tell you this except directly. For the past two months, your mate Joe has been abusing Victoria. He's beaten her. I saw evidence of it awhile back but Victoria begged me not to say anything. I realize now that was a mistake."

Sav clenched and unclenched his fist and looked at Victoria. "Is this true Victoria? Has Joe been beating you?" Sav said as calmly as he could.

~46~

Victoria sobbed nodding her head. "Yes Sav."

"I'm going to fucking kill him." Sav yelled, opening the door. Paige put a hand on his arm shaking her head.

"No Sav. I promised Victoria that I would let her leave on her own terms. It was the only way I could get her agree to let me tell you about it." Sav punched the wall next to him, his breath jagged. Victoria jumped reflexively and Sav immediately regretted his actions.

"Victoria, are you going to wait till Joe beats you so bad you end up in the hospital before you leave him? That will happen if you stay with him you know. Don't go back to that house Victoria. By now he's probably getting suspicious as to where you are. If you go back there, he's going to be livid. He may not be able to stop. Hell, I may not be able to stop once I go out there and beat the shit out of him." Sav spat angrily.

"Please Sav. Don't do anything. He can't know I talked to you two. He just needs help. He says he doesn't want to hurt me. He says he loves me." Victoria sobbed, feeling exhausted from all the emotions that were pouring through her.

"Does he say that before or after he beats you Victoria? Paige and I are only looking out for you luv. Stay here and we'll get rid of Joe. We'll have him thrown in jail." Victoria's eyes grew wide and her lower lip trembled.

"Don't Sav, Paige. I'm begging you. We'll leave now. I'll just tell Joe I don't feel well and we'll go home. He doesn't have to know I told you anything." Before Paige and Sav could stop her, Victoria rushed from the room and went outside.

"Joe, can we go home? I don't feel very well." Joe walked up to her gathering her in his arms.

"What's wrong baby?" Joe looked up and saw Sav and Paige standing in the doorway looking straight at him.