4. - Drunken mistakes

I woke up to the sound of a knock on my hotel door. I looked around but was disappointed to find myself, alone in bed. I guess he had already left. I then reached for my phone, and it was almost 10 am, to which I groaned. I then noticed a message, which instantly made my heart drop to my stomach. 'Forget about last night. It was a mistake.'

I heard another knock, as well as the sound of Max's voice, yelling something I didn't quite catch. "One moment!" I yelled back, getting out of bed and into some comfortable clothes. I took a glance around the room, making sure there was no sign left of him, and when I concluded that there wasn't, I went and opened the door, revealing Max on the other side. "Are you joining me for breakfast, sunshine?" He spoke and I gave him a tired smile, before grabbing my key to the room and putting on some flip-flops. "Let's go then," He said again, wrapping an arm around me as we walked down the hall to get to the elevator. 

"How did you get home last night? You just disappeared," Max asked after a while when the elevator finally arrived. We both walked in and as soon as the door closed, I groaned and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. "I took a cap. Got upset after talking to you know who," Max wrapped his arms around me tightly, placing his chin on top of my head. "I saw you talking, but you both seemed civil, so I didn't interfere. I'm sorry, I should have saved you," He spoke in a soft voice, making me shake my head. "It's okay, we were mostly civil, but still, I just miss the way things were..." I admitted before letting go of Max, as I saw on the display that we were nearing us the ground floor. 

Max and I both approached the dining hall, I wearing sweats and a hoodie, making sure the hood was up, covering up the disaster that was my hair. And Max is in a similar outfit, but looking way more alive. When we got down there, many of the drivers were sat eating dinner. We were almost all in the same hotel this time, so we decided to eat breakfast together with the others. Max and I got our plates and filled them at the buffet, before sitting down with the others. Me beside Max and Daniel, in front were Oscar, Logan and Lando. 

"Wow, Yn, you don't look too great today," Lando said bluntly, earning a slap on the shoulder from Charles who was sat on the other side of him. "Sorry-!" He quickly said as I didn't respond nor look up from my plate. I wasn't even really hungry, I just sat there and played with my food, refusing to look up at Oscar, whose eyes I felt on me as always. "You okay, sunny?" Daniel asked, nudging me a little with his elbow. I just nodded my head a bit. "Yeah, just tired..." I said in a low voice, but I could only imagine the worried looks on both Daniel and Max's faces, when I felt a hand on top of my hand, beneath the table. I knew it was Max, so I just took his hand in mine and gave it a light squeeze before letting go. But his hand stayed there, as he tried to make conversation with the other's, knowing I hated to have all the attention on me.

After a while, I felt like I had already reached my daily limit of socialising, even though I had done none at all, and excused myself to leave the table. "I'll head up first. See you guys..." I spoke, giving Max a reassuring squeeze on his arm, before leaving to go back upstairs.

Max's POV

As soon as she had left, I felt all eyes on me, but only one dared to speak up. "Was it because of what I said?" Lando asked, and I just shook my head, looking at him. "No, Lan, you're good. She's not feeling too well today," I explained, which seemed to relieve him. I then looked at Oscar, whose eyes were on his own plate. "What did you say to her last night?" I hear myself asking, not thinking straight whenever it's about her. Oscar looks up at me, his eyes so unbothered, it pisses me off. "I didn't say anything." He has the guts to say, but before I can talk back, Daniel speaks up. "Here isn't the place, Max." I look back at him and nod. I know he's right. 

"You're both acting as if I'm the bad guy here," He then has the audacity to say beneath his breath, making me give him a look of disbelief. "The fuck did you just say?" Was the only thing I could seem to get out my mouth. "Max-" Charles started, but I didn't let him finish. "No. This dickhead dares to act like the victim when he's the one who left her behind without a word! And that even after that stunt you pulled with Alpine and McLaren! You just had to make sure she didn't get into F1 as well?!" I raised my voice, which I knew wasn't a great idea, but I couldn't help it. I'd pick a fight right here and now for her. I'd do anything for her. Oscar had gotten quiet and seemed to have a regretful face on, which helped calm me down a bit. "Man, why did you do that? Do you know how badly you hurt her?" I tried a softer attempt, and the table got quiet. "Max, C'mon, we should head up. I'm sure she could use you right now as well." Daniel got up and placed his hand on my shoulder.

I knew he was right. She did need someone. But was it really me? Or was it him? Should I give him the opportunity? No. She isn't ready. I took a deep breath and got up as well, and before I left, I looked at Oscar and said, "You know, if only you would apologise, she'd forgive you in a heartbeat. Or else, she wouldn't be this upset." And with that, I left alongside Daniel to go and take care of the girl, who so desperately needed me right now.

Back to your POV

As soon as I had gotten back to my room, I began packing my suitcase, as we were leaving tomorrow, and I needed something to distract myself for now. Not long after though, I hear a knock at my door and get up to open it. "Max..." I mutter as he enters my room immediately, and I close the door after him. "How are you holding up, sunshine?" He asks, taking a look around the room, before looking back at me. I take a deep breath and just walk into his embrace, holding onto him tightly. His arms wrap around me yet again and I feel at peace finally. "Not good then?" He speaks softly and I just bury my head in his chest. 

"What did the others say? Was I too rude to leave like that?" I asked after a while of silence. He pulls away and cups my face in his hands, making me look back up at him as he shakes his head. "No, you weren't rude. They were just worried about you, but I told them I'd make sure you're okay." I nodded and placed my hands on top of his to feel his touch more, and then closed my eyes. "Yn..." He spoke in a low tone, making me open my eyes back up. He never really used my surname, so when he did, it always caught my attention.

When I looked up into his eyes, I couldn't read him at all. He was just staring down at me, with eyes filled with emotions. I could only detect a few though... A little sadness, worry, and what seemed to be some sort of hopeful expression. I knitted my eyebrows together when he didn't say anything, and parted my own lips to speak up. I completely stopped, however, when I saw his eyes leave mine and start to linger on my lips. Now, it suddenly all made sense. I knew exactly what he was thinking. What he wanted to do, and why he was looking at me the way he was. 

His eyes moved back up to mine and I could tell he was hesitant, searching for answers on my face. And when I finally gave him a nod of approval, he didn't waste any more time to close the gap between us and place his lips on mine. It was a kiss that had been long up and coming. One with so much passion and feeling, that I almost got overwhelmed. But I didn't. I didn't because it was Max. It was passionate but slow, and not in any way did it leave the expression that he wanted any more than to just hold me in his arms for the moment.

After a while of making out, we both broke the kiss, in need of air. He pressed his forehead against mine as I kept my eyes closed, taking it all into the sound of our breaths trying to catch up again. "You don't know how long I've wanted to do that..." He whispered after a while, making me open my eyes again and look up at him. He was smiling widely, which I reciprocated immediately. "Me too, Maxie..." We both let out a laugh and engulfed each other in a tight hug.