18. - Sunshine

We had to leave the house early the next morning, so Logan and I could catch our flights. Before we left for the airport we all ate breakfast together and then said our goodbyes to Oscar's parents. They both gave me a warm hug, and his mom told me she would look forward to seeing me again soon. Then we left the house, and Oscar drove us to the airport. The whole way there, we were pretty quiet, but it was a nice kind of silence, where we all just enjoyed each other's company for the time we had left together before parting ways for a week and a half before seeing each other again at the next GP. 

When we arrived at the airport, Oscar went with us inside and helped us both with the baggage check-in and then it was time. We decided to take a photo together since we hadn't gotten to take a lot all three of us together during the trip. Logan was the first to give Oscar a little hug and a fist bump before it was my turn and I engulfed him in a tight, long hug. I knew it wasn't a long time we would be apart, but I was still going to miss him nonetheless. "Have a safe flight, yeah? Call me when you land," He spoke, still holding me in his arms, and I nodded my head. "I will. I'll see you soon," I spoke back before we broke the hug and he looked at me with a wide smile and nodded his head. "See you soon, guys," He greeted a last time, and then we all waved as Logan and I made it through security and into the airport. 

"Why didn't you kiss him?" Logan teased when we had found a spot to sit down before our gate information was shown. "There were lots of people around," I explained, in disbelief that he would even ask that question. "So? They'll find out sooner or later, no?" He asked, getting a bit more serious, but still with a smile on his face. "I hope so, but we'll see. It's still too soon, and we aren't even really together," I tried to explain, but he didn't seem to buy it. "Sure, one kiss doesn't mean you're in a relationship, but if you wanted to kiss him, you should've. Stop caring so much about what others will think, Con. I know he wanted to as well," Logan wiggled his eyebrows and I chuckled a bit. "Give it time, Lo," I responded and he playfully rolled his eyes, finally accepting the answer.

"My gate number just came up," He spoke up after a minute, causing me to look up at the board as well. "Yeah, mine too," I said, after noticing. We both stood up and gave each other a big hug, saying our goodbyes, before heading in opposite directions to catch our flights. 

After spending the last bit of summer break back home in London, it was finally time to get back on track. The next stop was the Netherlands, which for RedBull always seemed to be the highlight of the year since it was Max's home race. I arrived at the circuit along with my performance coach, who came from London with me. Arriving in the garage, I was met with sympathetic smiles and a weird atmosphere of grown men not knowing how to react to the breakup. I went around, greeting my team before I noticed Max coming out from the motorhome with Horner. They both greeted me with a smile, and Horner brought me to a slight side hug, patting my back, "Ready?" he asked, and I smiled back, "Yeah, of course," I replied and that was about as long as our conversation went before he left, and Max was not stood in front of me. 

"Is it okay if I say that I've missed you?" He asked, giving me a heartfelt smile, which I can only return. "Of course it is, Maxie. I have too," I admit, and he puts out his arms, in a way of offering a hug. His eyes were scanning my face and body language, as he clearly didn't want to overstep any boundaries. I nodded, giving him my approval to go for it, and we both embraced each other in a tight hug. It was really nice to see him again, and after all, we had ended on the best note possible. A part of my heart still ached a bit at the thought of him, but it had reduced to such a small part of me, that I almost couldn't feel it besides the amount of happiness and love that I was feeling as well. And that was all thanks to a certain someone. 

Letting go of Max, I could tell he was relieved. "I'm so happy that we're okay," He said, letting out a breath which seemed to have been held for a while. "Yeah, I mean, after all, we are friends and teammates before anything," I say, which brings a smile back on his lips. "So, friends then?" He asked and I nodded. "Yes, friends," I replied and he squeezed my arm before he left to go back into the garage. 

Today was media day, so Max and I were going to spend the whole day together practically. We also had to film for Grill the Grid with the others, and then I heard I had to do some group interviews with some other drivers as well. Overall, a busy, but chill day. It was going to be fun for sure. 

Max and I were briefed shortly, before we were told to head to one of the main buildings to meet with some of the FiA reporters. On the way, we met Pierre and Charles, who were standing outside Ferrari's garage, talking, so we decided to stop for a chat as well. We both greeted both of them and caught up a bit. After a while, a loud voice caught all of our attention, but before I could turn my head, Lando was already making his way, greeting everyone with a handclap, and lastly me with a hug. I couldn't help but look around after him, in case Oscar was around as well, but I couldn't find him. Lando seemed to notice, as he leaned down and whispered in my ear, "He'll be here in a sec, he's been hurrying so much that it ended up slowing him down this morning," He said, and I looked at him as a small giggle escaped my lips, which seemed to catch the attention of everyone, who made confused faces at us. 

"What are you talking about?" Charles asked, and Lando made a 'zip' motion before letting out a laugh as well, and I just shrugged my shoulders. They all still seemed weirded out by the episode, but shook it off and continued with their conversations. 

It didn't take more than a few minutes before an orange figure caught my attention coming from the McLaren garage. I felt a smile instantly grow on my lips as my eyes connected with his. It had only been a bit over a week, but I had missed him a lot, and couldn't wait for his hug. Oscar went straight into my arms, giving me a tight hug, then went to greet everyone else and took a stand right beside me again. "Did you both have a good time in Australia then?" Lando asked, wiggling his eyebrows and making it way too obvious that he knew exactly how good of a time we had. Max squinted his eyebrows and was visibly confused as he looked at me. "Logan and I both went to Australia for two weeks during the break," I explained and he nodded, but the look in his eyes told me that he didn't like the thought of it. He seemed insecure, almost at a loss for hope.

"We had a good time, spent it like old times," Oscar added, probably trying to light up the suddenly tense atmosphere. "Yeah, fought like old times too," I joked, which made most of them let out a small laugh, but Lando still had the same smug smile on his face. I was scared he was going to reveal something to everyone, but before my fear could become reality, Max and I were called to the first interview of the day.

"You went to Australia, hm?" Max asked, as soon as we had taken enough steps away for the others not to hear us. "I did..." I reply, and none of us look at each other, before he takes a step in front of me, right before we are about to enter the main building. I look at him with a questionable look, waiting for him to speak up. "I haven't given up on us, Yn," He says completely out of nowhere, which took me aback. "Max-..." I try, but he shakes his head, not letting me finish my thought. "Are you two a couple?" He asks, getting straight to the point. I take a second to think about it, which makes him impatient, so he asks again. "Are you together yet?" He rephrased and I shook my head, no. "We're not," I said, and he nodded, then opened the door for me to head in first, but I stood completely baffled. "As long as you're not an official couple, I'll keep fighting for you back, Yn," He explained and I almost couldn't believe my own ears. "Max, listen," I start, but he places a gentle hand on my back, pushing me inside carefully, so we begin to head to the interview. "I know what you're going to say, but I don't care sunshine," He spoke down to me quietly, a smirk spreading on his lips, and the familiar nickname did make me feel some type of way in that moment.