10. - I fucked up

The next few days I spent with my family and close friends. The funeral was beautiful, and with everyone who needed to be there. Max hadn't gotten back to me yet, but I tried to keep my mind off of him and focus on being in the moment as we all were back at my parents' house, sharing our stories and memories of them. Oscar had been my rock these days, never left my side for a second, and I loved him for it. His parents even took the time to travel from Australia to come and be at the funeral. Our parents had only met a few times, but they always got along, and his parents were like a second pair of parents to me, and vice versa. It meant a lot to me that they were there, and I could tell that Oscar had missed them too. 

"You guys are on break now, aren't you?" Oscar's mom spoke up quietly, as we were sat in a small group at the gathering. "You know we are, mom. I told you I'm coming to see you next week," Oscar smiled, causing me to smile as well. "What are your plans for the break, dear?" She then asked me, and my mind went blank. I was supposed to spend most of my break in Monaco with Max, but now I had no idea if that was happening after all. "I'm not sure... I might just stay here in London all break," I explain and see as both his dad and mom look at each other with an expression I didn't understand. They exchanged a smile and a nod, before looking back at me. "How would you like to come to Australia with Oscar? You can stay at our place as well, and we can show you around and have a good time!" His mom spoke up, "Yeah, Yn, it's about time. We've invited you many times at this point, when will we get a yes?" His dad chimed in, and I couldn't help but smile at their genuine desire to have me there.

"Mom, Dad... You're pressuring her, she probably wants to stay here with her family," Oscar tried, probably in an attempt to give me an out if I needed one. "Actually, my siblings are both back to their busy lives next week, so I won't have much to do here anyway... I might have other plans, but if not, I would love to join you all in Australia. Thank you so much for the offer," I gave them both a genuine smile, which seemed appreciated. I then looked at Oscar, who looked at me in shock and then leaned in to have a private conversation. "What about Max?" He asked, making me look down at my phone, which still had no messages or missed calls. "I'm going to try calling him again tonight, but if he doesn't answer, then I'm not going to Monaco," I explain, having already thought about that part a lot.

"Don't feel pressured to come with me if you don't want to, Con... Maybe you should go and see him. Face to face, and get it all sorted out. Going to Australia with me is only going to make this a bigger issue." I frown at his words. I know he means well, but a part of me feels almost as if he doesn't want me to come to Australia with him. But I knew he was right. About everything he said. Part of me just wish he hadn't said it for some reason - the same part of me that just wanted to spend all my time with him.

"I'm gonna go and try calling him now," I reply, getting up before he could say anything else. I step inside the house from the backyard and dial his number. This time he picked up after the second ring but he didn't say anything. "Hello? Max?" I ask carefully and hear a sigh on the other end. "Hi, Sunshine..." My heart starts racing at the sound of his voice. "Hey... How are you?" I ask, just wanting to hear more from him, but it takes him a while to reply. I then heard a sob on his end, and my heart dropped. "Maxie... Don't cry baby, it's okay..." I mutter out while I tear up as well. "I'm so sorry, Yn... I fucked up..." I frown at his words, "It's okay Maxie, I understand... We can all get insecure at times, I know you didn't mean those things..." I look out into the garden and my eyes link with Oscar's, who's seemingly keeping a close eye on me.

"No, Yn, you don't understand... I really fucked up..." I hear his voice crack as he begins to cry on the other side, and I feel as if it's a good idea to sit down, so that's what I did. "What happened?.." I ask hesitantly. His breath is fast and shaky, and then he whispers a sentence that I never thought I would hear from his lips. "I cheated on you..."