7. - The accident

Two months had passed since the talk with Oscar, and it was now time for the last race before summer break; Belgium. Since the talk, Oscar and I had become friends again, and even though it hadn't been exactly the same as before, I still considered him one of my best friends again. Max and I's relationship was still a secret to the public, but at this point, everyone in the paddock knew about it. 

Today was the last quali-day, and Max and I entered the paddock together, as always. "Morning guys!" Max and I greeted everyone as soon as we entered our garage. We had arrived quite early, so we decided to go to the driver's lounge and catch up with some of the others before we had to get ready and in the cars. "Hello, Hello!" we started making our way around, saying hello to everyone in the room, which today was almost everyone. I quickly joined the younger drivers who were sitting around in a smaller group, while Max joined Daniel and Charles in another group. 

"So, Con, ready for today?" Oscar asked when I sat down beside him, watching as he and Logan played a card game. "Always ready to beat you guys," I replied with a teasing smile, earning a small laugh from Logan, "We know you are," he said, keeping his eyes on his cards. "What are your plans for the holidays? Going home to see the fam?" Logan continued, then looked up at me for a reply. "Well, I might, I haven't quite decided yet. I just know I'm spending some time with Max in Monaco," I explained, realising I hadn't thought about visiting my family at all. "Hasn't it been a while since you've been back home?" Oscar followed up, looking at me with a slightly worried look. I couldn't help but think about it, now that he said that, which made me feel quite bad. Thinking about it, I missed my family, and I hadn't seen them more than twice since the start of the season, having spent all my time with Max.

"It has, yeah..." I say, about to continue when my phone rang, displaying my sister's name, which made me smile instantly. "Speaking of which!" I said excitedly, picking up the phone. "Hey, sis!" I spoke up but immediately could tell something was wrong by the sound of her voice. "Yn... Are you alone right now?" I frowned at her question and automatically looked at both Logan and Oscar, who seemed to pay close attention after the change in my expression. "Um, no, I'm with all the drivers, why, what's wrong?" I asked, and then heard her sob on the other line. I felt the worry rise immediately, and got up to leave and get some privacy. Before I could go anywhere though, Oscar grabbed my arm, making me look at him, "Need me to come?" He whispered, but I just shook my head, thinking my sister just needed to vent for a while. "Casey, I'm by myself now, talk to me," I said as soon as I had entered my driver's room. 

Oscar's POV

Seeing Yn leave left me with a pit in my stomach. Something felt completely off, but Max seemed to notice as well, as he almost immediately got up afterwards, following her out. How I wished that I could do that. That I could just be with her every second and through every up and down. But I guess I brought it upon myself. At least we were back to being friends, and I could talk to her again, which always was the highlight of my day.

After almost half an hour, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it up, and it was a message from Max, "Please come. I think she needs you." That was all it said, so I immediately got up and began running to her driver's room. As soon as I got there, I just busted through the door, and the sight broke my heart into a million pieces. Yn was sitting on the floor, crying uncontrollably, and Max was there beside her, trying helplessly to calm her down. He looked at me and in the same second, almost begged out. "Please, I don't know what to do, I don't know what happened, she's just pushing me away..." I nodded and calmly approached her.

I had only ever seen her in this kind of state once in my life, and I remember it as the worst day of my life. I kneel in front of her and gently place my hands on her knees, but feel her immediately push me away. "Con, hey... don't do that please..." I whisper, trying to place my hands on her again, and this time she lets me do so. Her head was buried in her arms, which were wrapped around, hugging her legs. I notice Max slowly backing up, while I try to keep my full attention on her. I try gently pulling her arms away, wanting her to open up a bit more, and after a few tries, she finally looks up at me. Her eyes were red and full of tears, her expression completely heartbroken.