꒰ 13 ꒱

You decided you really liked doing all your recordings early in the week. While recording and editing three videos in one day had been long and stressful, it was done and almost entirely off your plate. All that remained was uploading to the site.

Maybe you should have been paying more attention to your channel, though, other than quickly signing in to post and then immediately closing the tab again.

Because who else but Giovanna came calling again, and the first thing she said --before "Hello," or "How are you?"-- was "Have you checked your page recently?"

You checked the day. It was Sunday. The last time you'd been on Cloud Nine was Friday. Was that recent enough?

"I have," you answered.

She let out a hum that turned a little staticky over the phone. "You know I monitor your Internet activity, right? There's no point in lying."

That certainly gave you pause, made you flush in both embarrassment and a little bit of outrage. You couldn't put either feeling into words, though. This was just like her, after all. She put a camera in your bathroom, for fuck's sake.

The most you could say was, "No, I didn't know that. May I ask why?" You were proud of how calm and steady your voice came out, given how you were practically choking on your emotions right now.

"You may not. You're a smart enough cookie to come up with the reason by yourself. Now, I'll ask again and pretend you didn't just lie to me: Have you checked your page recently?" Giovanna said it like she was doing you a favor.

"I'm sorry," you quickly amended, because you lived off of her good will. "I didn't mean to lie." And you'd argue you didn't, if you thought it would do any good. But it one-hundred percent wouldn't. "I thought Friday was recent enough."

"Well, it's not. You should be checking it every day," she admonished. "You're still learning about your audience. You need to watch your analytics and read your comments."

"I don't wanna read the comments."

"Why?" It came out as more of a demand than a question.

"I'm scared." You borderline whimpered into the receiver.

Giovanna sighed, creating more static. "Listen to me..." Her voice was low and slow but not threatening. "You're safe here. No one's gonna get you, not while I'm around."

"What about Sky?"

There was a long pause over the phone, long enough to make you wonder if she'd hung up. Finally, "What about her?" Threatening this time. "Take it back," she seemed to say.

Instead, you steeled your resolve. "Did you tell her she was safe too? Before you auctioned her off like cattle?" Then you held your breath, waiting for her to deny it.

The scary part was, she didn't. "I did. And she was safe... Right up until the point she decided to break the rules. You'll be safe here so long as you get in line and stay in line. Got it?"

You didn't realize you were crying until tears started to drip down from your chin. But eventually, you nodded.

"Good," Giovanna replied. Obviously, she was watching you through the cameras again. "Now, I didn't call just to reprimand you. In fact, I wanted to congratulate you. On your first five-hundred fans."

"Is five-hundred fans good?" It was a struggle to keep your voice steady, let alone light, but you managed.

"It's not bad. Some e-darlings make double or quadruple that in the first week, but it'll do. We won't know the make-up of that fanbase without studying their behavior, though. That's why I'm letting you get out of posting a video this week, so long as you stream at least thrice."

Dear God, you didn't want to, especially thinking of the perverted freaks in Mac's chatbox. "What would I even do?" You thought aloud.

"I dunno, kid. Come up with something! I've got you video games, streaming services, all sorts of shit. They watch you, and you watch them." Then, there was a short pause, the sound of someone talking in the background. "I've gotta go. Just remember: three streams. I'll be watching." And, with that Giovanna hung up.