꒰ 14 ꒱

The life of an uninfected girl in this lovesick world was relatively simple: don't get noticed. An impossible feat, seeing as you were a goddamn human being and not a poltergeist.

You could fly as far under the radar as you physically could, and there would still be some freak that gushed over how you were "not like other girls." Which was kind of misogynistic, but not as red as the other flags they were flying. One boy's confession to you was literally, "I wanna put you in my mouth... I wanna crush you in my jaws." Scary!

Now that your livelihood depended on attracting attention, you weren't sure you could do it. When you confided in Aun about this, her answer was simple, "Just be yourself." Easy for her to say! She was so effortlessly charming.

At a loss for what else to do on stream, you decided to lean into your kawaii gamer girl aesthetic and, well, game. You never had the money for an Alienware PC or a Nintendo Switch, but now you had both at your disposal. Might as well put them to good use!

Figuring out how exactly to stream in general took some research and a couple extra downloads, but --with a number of different online tutorials at your fingertips-- you managed to set everything up just right. It helped that Cloud Nine's streaming services were very streamlined. Heh heh.

After a little over an hour, you had everything set up and were ready to go. After readjusting your webcam and headphones for the hundredth time, you hit the big blue button... And waited.

Mac described streaming a lot like fishing. There was a lot of waiting around, especially in the beginning. "Sometimes stream notifications can be a little delayed," she said. "Wait ten to fifteen minutes before you actually do anything. Make small talk with chat in the meantime."

Fans joined a couple at a time as you sat there scrolling through the games already downloaded on your shiny new Switch, but chat remained blessedly empty until minute seven.

"Hello there!" offthenet typed.

You blinked owlishly at the screen before replying with a tentative, "Um, hi. My name is--" God, you almost told them your real name, like an idiot. "Uh, my name is Cu. You know, like the letter? Except it's spelled-- You probably don't care how it's spelled." God, you sounded so fucking awkward. It wasn't cute. You took a deep breath and tried again. "Let's start over... My name is Cu. Welcome to my stream."

"Take off your shirt," messaged wanderlusty.

You could feel your face begin to redden as well as see it in the corner of your stream. "It's not going to be that kind of stream. I'm just here to chat and play some video games."

"Awww, look! She's starting to blush!"

You elected to ignore that little comment. "If I set everything up correctly, you should be seeing the same home screen that I am. I never played any of these titles before, so if you have a preference for what you'd like to watch, let me know."

You spent another good five minutes looking through your downloaded games and got absolutely nowhere. You may only have a dozen active viewers, but each one had a different suggestion for what you should play.

Just when you were about to just pick one at random, you received a superchat. For twenty dollars, nightwatcher said, "Have you ever played any of the Kirby games?"

"Uh, thank you. And no, I haven't. I have Star Allies, Forgotten Land, and Return to Dreamland, though. Um, do you have a favorite?"

Another five dollars and, "Do Dreamland. I played the original on my Nintendo DS. It's really nostalgic for me."

Thank God. You were afraid you'd have to make the decision for yourself.

"Can I make a little confession?" You asked as you waited on a software update before you could play.

"Is this confession bedroom-related?" wanderlusty answered.

"No."

"Bedroom-adjacent?"

"No!" Somebody certainly had a dirty mind. Then again, you were essentially a cam-girl. Maybe you needed to get with the program. That being said, your clothes would be staying on for the time-being. "I... Have actually never played a Kirby game before."

"You're in for a treat, then." nightwatcher interjected. "Even though the penultimate Kirby game is, of course, Kirby's Epic Yarn."

"Nuh-uh! Kirby: Squeak Squad," offthenet argued.

"It must be such a burden to go through life being so wrong."

You giggled a little as chat started to bicker amongst themselves... Which, obviously, drew their attention back to you.

"Oh my God, you're so stinking adorable."

"What other sounds can you make?"

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you!"

Woah, that was a little fast. How were you supposed to respond to that? Racking your brain, you thought back to how Aun interacted with her fans. Despite it being against your nature, it was in your best interest to encourage this relationship. It was only parasocial, anyway.

So you replied, albeit awkwardly, "Uh... Thanks! You're-- Um, you're not half-bad yourself."

"Say it back. Say you love me."

"I-- I love you." It wasn't incredibly convincing, though...

Performing didn't come easily to you. You'd never had a very good stage presence. The only part you could land in your elementary school play had been that of a tree, for Pete's sake. You would just have to adapt and overcome, you supposed.

Your commentary was undoubtedly lacking. For the first five minutes, all you said was, "D'awww, it's soo cute," over and over again on loop. You didn't really know what else to say. Everything that came out of your mouth was a pure stream of consciousness.

It was taking you a hot minute to figure out how to juggle chat and gameplay, but that was likely something you'd grow accustomed to the more you streamed.

Of course, that's when the peanut gallery started getting a little... Aggressive, for lack of a better term.

"When are you going to start undressing?"

"Dude, stop pressuring her to strip. Go watch bigtittiegothgf if you're that horny."

"Hey! Don't tell me what to do!"

"I'm warning you..."

"Oh yeah? Or what, big guy?"

"I'm going to find you. And once I'm done with you, I'm going to wave your decapitated head on a stick in front of your weeping mother." God, you hoped that wasn't a real threat... But you could never ever take a yandere's word for granted.

"Ohhh-kay! I think that's all I've got in me for the night, boys and girls," you said, laughing nervously as you closed the software and powered-off the Switch.

"Where are you going?"

"Don't go!"

"At least show us your tits before you go."

"wanderlusty, I swear to God..."

"Then start swearing, my dude."

"I'm going to strangle you with your own intestines."

"Stop fighting, you two! You're upsetting Cu!"

"Gotta go! Love you! Bye!" You said in a single breath before clicking the button to end the stream. It felt like you couldn't breathe easy until you saw the webcam light turn off. Once it did, you sat back in your chair with a long, shaky exhale.

That was one stream down. Two to go.