Chapter 1

Inara

The Festival is today.

I had it marked on my calendar, never to be forgotten. Not that one could forget the coming of darkness. Well, not darkness incarnate, but he might as well be.

The forest is divided into two kingdoms. First, is the Sun kingdom, beautiful and radiant, where night only fades into colours of blushing pinks, sleeping blues, light oranges and subtle reds, but never black.

Second, is the Moon kingdom, terrifying and mysterious, where days bleed darkness and shadows. Their waking and sleeping is only divided by different shades of black.

The festival, held in honour of our ancestors who created the kingdoms, is a celebration of love. Held every time a new king is crowned. The ruler of said kingdom is to travel to the opposite kingdom, look for his or her mate, and then drink an unhealthy amount of liquor while dancing until nightfall.

It's a very obnoxiously annoying ordeal, and usually ends in disappointment, because why would the moon goddess put your mate in an opposing kingdom? It's a waste of time, and this year, it's being held in our pack.

"You can't say you aren't excited for your first ever festival," Kiana says as her hands mold strands of pink hair into curlers.

My eyes leave my book at the words, tracking her movements before I say, "It's not my first one."

She gives me a look, then scowls as she says, "You were three months old when the last festival happened here, and you didn't even get to dance!"

I roll my eyes, then pin them to my book once more.

"What is it with you and dancing?" I mutter.

An outraged gasp chases my words, and my eyes flick up, meeting steely pink ones.

"Dancing is a form of expression. It's like talking with your body, singing with your feet. It's-"

I put a hand up. "If you stop, I'll trade dish duty for a week."

Kiana grins. "Deal." But then she frowns. "Ms. Granelle won't allow us to switch obligations."

A slow smile spreads across my face. "Ah, but you forget I'm trained in the art of avoiding Ms. Granelle's eyes."

Having worked under her stare for over eight years of my life has had me catching some slips and slides.

As if our words summoned her, banging on the door has my hands reflexively shutting my book and stuffing in under the thin blankets of my bed, while Kiana drops her hands from the curlers and stands up straight.

The door flies open on creaky hinges, revealing an irritated Ms. Grannelle.

"Did I say you had the rest of today off?" She questions, eyes roaming over Kiana's curlers and the obvious lump under my covers before returning to us.

Kiana and I simultaneously look to the floor, shaking our heads.

"Then why are you still up here?" She practically snarls. "Dinner is to be ready in three hours, and appetizer preparations aren't going to start themselves. Everyone will be eating in the Grand House today, so I expect double time, no lounging!"

My heart scrunches like an overused elastic, and, despite my better judgment, my head pops up.

"But, miss, the festival is today," I say quietly.

Her eyes narrow, fury wrinkling her face.

"I am quite aware of the events today, girl," she says as her feet step closer. "Tell me, are you expecting everyone to starve? Are you expecting the kings, to starve?"