Chapter 2

Aziel

My temple was already throbbing from the overdose of bright colours, and now I've entered a world of noise, chaos, and constant crowds of chatter that I can hear from inside my wooden sanctuary. It's exhausting.

I've never liked the idea of the Festival, but now that I'm the reason for the cause, my dislike has turned into a deep hatred. My father passed away, and I'm rewarded with...... this.

I don't understand the need for a mate. One is perfectly capable of signing papers by himself, fighting battles by himself, and sleeping by himself.

A mate will only be a hindrance, especially if she comes from this wonderland of horrifically bright lights and colours so vibrant they sting my very soul.

The carriage comes to a halt, my heart lurching with the wheels as I straighten my jacket.

Would you like me to do the honours? My wolf asks, his voice full of bored disdain.

I think if it were you who jumped out of this carriage, there wouldn't be a festival anymore, I reply, even though the offer he proposes is quite tempting.

Is that not what we desire?

It is exactly what we desire, but sometimes we must do what we despise.

A knock on the wooden doors draws my attention away from my wolf. I take a deep breath, preparing myself before finally opening the door.

If I thought the noise from inside the carriage was loud, then out here it's near deafening.

"I've been informed that the Festival will be held in the Great House," Levi, my second, says, voice unexpectedly soft.

His features are stoic, hands folded regally in of him, but his fingers are twitching slightly, and his eyes look less than impressed. It seems I am not the only one who despises this event, and I am definitely not the only one who hates these colours.

"Let's get this over with, shall we?" I say lowly, my hand patting his shoulder as I start towards the Great House.

The door looms ahead, closed yet beating with everything that goes on inside of it, taunting me with light and sound.

Two of my guards walk to hold the handles of the wooden doors, eyes set on me, waiting for approval.

I swallow my disgust, take a deep breath, and nod.

Music assaults my ears, flashing lights hitting my eyes at every angle, my skin already clammy with the amount of people in the place. Every one of my senses is rushing to regulate through the crowds.

"Ladies and gentlemen! May I present the new ruler of the Moon kingdom, Aziel Marret!" A speaker from somewhere announces.

Applause erupts around me, and I make my face go neutral as I nod to everyone.

"Dances are to begin, food is to be served, and alcohol is not to be drunk lightly! Let the Festival of love officially begin!" The speaker says again.

I don't even have time to blink before a girl is latching onto to my arm and tugging, intending to dance I presume.

"If you would like to dance," I start, my voice so gruff it could be a growl. "Then I encourage you to find a willing partner." I lean down to her ear before whispering, "And I would suggest not looking here."

Her pout is more of a scowl as she walks away, and I almost smirk at the sight. Are girls really that desperate to be swept into the shadows?

"Are you enjoying yourself?"