Chapter 14

Aziel

I was staring at the sun.

Not the real sun, of course, but a configuration of it. Carved into the concrete stairs leading up to my palace, my home, was a sun, its edges imitating radiant rays of brightness.

"When did this happen?" I all but growl at Thomas.

He audibly gulps, taking a subtle step back, trying to hide his fear, and I'm reminded of Inara's words last night.

You aren't as horrible as you let the world believe.

I don't think you're a monster, Aziel.

I shut the words out.

"One of the guards found it this morning, your highness," Thomas says, his voice shaking slightly.

My jaw works, fury bubbling beneath my skin.

"I want every guard that was on rotation last night to be in my office in five minutes," I say coolly, turning to walk back inside. "And get someone to cover up that abomination."

I can't believe we were pulled away from breakfast because of some stupid drawing, my wolf grumbles, yawning loudly.

I internally roll my eyes. That stupid drawing could be a declaration of war.

He chuckles. With those drawing skills? I think someone is just trying to tell you that your palace needs more bling.

I twist my lips to keep from smiling. Most people know I'm a shifter, but I still don't want to risk looking like a sociopath, smiling like an idiot to nothing but thin air.

Inara is right where I left her when I walk back into the dining room. I made sure to pick a time for her to come here when nobody would be in here eating, but that window is almost closed.

I lean down when I reach her, kissing her neck before whispering, "You are a dream, I swear."

Her back jerks up, but I notice it's not as rigid as when she first arrived here. Maybe this stiffness is from something other than fear....

I've made progress, I know. Her walls are crumbling as I show her that I have cracks too, that I wouldn't dare try to knock her down when I know firsthand how hard it is to get back up.

I crouch down in front of her, holding my favourite pair of blue eyes as I say, "I have a meeting that just came up. I'm so sorry, but I need to attend this one. You are absolutely welcome to accompany me, but I have a feeling you'd rather not listen to old men argue for an hour."

Her eyes dawn panic before she quickly blinks it away and nods. "I'm ok on my own. You don't have to worry about me."

There it is. Her worry.

"You are not a burden," I murmur, my gaze holding the sincerity I so deeply want her to believe. "Not in the slightest. I would love your company, but if you would like to stay down here, then that's fine too."

Her gaze does the search that it always does, eyes flicking wildly between mine before she says, "I'll stay down here?"

I smile. "That's right, love. You make the decisions here, not me." I kiss her forehead as I stand. "I will rush the meeting, but unfortunately these things tend to take longer than I ever anticipate. Stay with Zara, and if you need me she can tell you which room I'm in. I'll see you later, ok?"

She nods hesitantly, and I briefly consider dropping my title just so I can spend every second by her side.

I'm not opposed to that option, my wolf says, voice hopeful.