Chapter 15

Inara

I think the room may be floating, although I can't be sure. There's a slight blur to the colouring as well, as if the air can't decide where to settle. It's dizzying, and not in a good way.

There's something wrong with me. I think... maybe not? I actually can't remember, but I think maybe I can taste the colours in this room... is that normal?

"My mate's wellbeing was the consequence of this so called mishap," Aziel growls from somewhere, and a slight tingle erupts in my veins from his voice. "Find out how to fix the problem, or I will find someone who can."

A door opens and slams shut after those words, and then suddenly Aziel is in front of me. There's a scowl on his face, but he quickly erases it, replacing it with concern in a second.

"Hey," he says softly. "The doctor said the drugs should were off on their own, so we just gotta wait this out. How are you feeling?"

His words don't immediately register, because I think this is the first time I've looked at him.

Well, really looked at him. I had never noticed the gold rim in his amber eyes, but looking at it now, I don't know how I could ever not notice it. His black cropped hair flops in a way that says 'I don't care' and I think I maybe kinda love it.

"I love your hair."

Oh no.

Did I actually just say that?

His lips curl, plain amusement plastered to his face. "Is that so? What about it is so enticing?"

"The way it flops," I murmur. "And the colour. I love the colour. Like melted onyx."

I don't think my mouth has an off switch right now. It's just spouting out the first things that come to mind.

His smile turns soft. "I've often thought that it looks more like floating shadows. I like melted onyx better."

I smile triumphantly, because apparently I have no control over my face either. "Good. My metaphors will be a good image change."

He frowns. "What is wrong with my image?"

"Not your outward appearance," I amend. "But the image you keep in your head. The image of the heartless king who rules with an iron fist and a flaming tongue."

I'm surprised by how much I mean the words. I haven't been here long, but I've seen enough to know that the cruel Moon king I was told about is nothing like the man before me.

I was told horror stories of a shadowed monster. A king who ruled with his black heart and even blacker soul. I heard all about the unending screams and terror induced commands, harsh punishments and unspeakable deaths.

What I wasn't told about, however, was the kind heart that didn't lose interest when at first I didn't show any. The king who tried to understand my fears instead of bending and abusing them. The king who slept on the floor just so I wouldn't. The king who made sure I wasn't suffering instead of making sure I did. The king who called me his mate even when everything was ruling against it. The king who wants me by his side, even though I have nothing to give him.

I hadn't even noticed I was crying until a calloused thumb brushes underneath my eye.

"What is it?" Aziel asks, his face almost panicked. "Are you hurting somewhere?"

I shake my head gently, staring into his eyes. Goodness, those eyes. I want to dive into them and never come up for air.

A surprised laugh leaves his lips, and my eyes are drawn to them, noticing the way they move as he says, "Are my eyes that inviting? Or are they the reason you're crying?"