Chapter 17

Riding back to the Sun kingdom makes me feel sick. The last time I was in a carriage on route to the peppy dreamland, I was going to find my mate, and now I'm going there to save her. Oh how quickly fate can switch its gears.

Levi sits across from me. A rarity, but I really didn't want to sit in here alone with my thoughts. They still swirl in my head, taunting me with the fact that my mate is potentially lying on her deathbed.

My fists clench, stomach knotting, and knee starting to bounce.

"I really like your shoes," I blurt like an idiot.

I can physically feel the awkward shift in the air. I can also feel my wolf slam his head against my skull. Repeatedly.

If there was ever a time I could switch bodies, this would be the moment I think of as I fling myself from your head.

Fair enough, I suppose.

"My... shoes?" Levi asks, his brows furrowed but also raised at the same time.

I look down to the black running shoes. They actually look quite worn out.

Why am I even surprised when you act like this? My wolf questions. I should know by now that you're a complete idiot sometimes.

It's better than thinking about our mate's impending doom, I snap back.

Damn it. Now I'm thinking about it.

I rub my eyes with my thumb and forefinger. "I'm sorry, I just..."

Just don't know how to deal with the riot of emotions raging in my brain.

"I get it," Levi says. "You don't have to explain. Just don't compliment my shoes. We both know they look like trash."

A laugh bursts out of me, and a little bit of tension seeps out with it.

"They do look like they've seen better days," I say.

I don't think I've ever been this friendly with Levi. With anyone, actually, and it feels kinda good. It feels freeing to release the king persona for a few seconds and just be a man talking to another man. Joking around and laughing.

Inara's words tilt back in my head yet again.

You aren't as horrible as you let the world believe.

Levi chuckles lightly, but not fully, unfamiliar with what he's dealing with. "I like to think it gives them character."

I glance down at the fraying edges and fading colour. "Sure. We'll call it character."

He laughs lightly again, but still not fully. It's my fault. I put these walls up, and only I can tear them down.

Who ever said you had to conform with the voices around you?

Her words swirl through my head, pushing the truth in front of my face.

"How's your mate?" I ask.

I don't have to conform. I may be a king, but that doesn't mean I have to be heartless, and I think that is exactly what Inara meant.

Levi looks up at me with surprise, his eyes widening slightly before he clears his throat and says, "She's, uh, she's good. Pregnancy takes its toll, but she's handling it like a champ."

I had no idea his wife was pregnant. I had absolutely no clue he was expecting a baby.

Because you don't talk to him unless it's for work related reasons, my wolf grumbles.

I can't even be offended, because he's right.

"I am so sorry, Levi," I say, grimacing as I pull a hand through my hair. "You should be home right now, with her, but instead you're helping me take care of my mess."