Chapter 10

Aziel

It's strange, how a complete stranger can become your whole world within the span of two days. I hadn't known Inara existed a couple days ago, and now I all I know is her.

I feel stressed, tired, overwhelmed, and completely terrified of the prospect of my brother arriving here in a few days, and all I want to do is hold my mate. I want to wrap her in my arms and never let go. Stick my nose in her hair and inhale her scent over and over. Touch her and revel in the feel of her skin against mine.

You sound worse than me, my wolf says, smug amusement in his voice.

At least I don't think about it every second of every day, I retort.

Absurd human, he mutters.

Stubborn mutt, I mutter back.

My door finally comes into focus, and the breath of relief I let go is like physical weight leaving my body.

The door opens as I approach, and I immediately look to the bed, expecting to find her still asleep, but the mattress is meticulously covered in a clean set of sheets and smoothed out comforter.

Are my pillows fluffed....?

My gaze searches the space, finding cleanliness everywhere. Books neatly on the shelf here, blankets folded over the chair there, dustless shelves and spotless floors.

I move into the bathroom to find it even more pristine than when my maid does it. Briahna is amazing at her job, but her efforts have never looked this good.

This was the work of a girl who was riddled with anxiety and desperate to please the one person she knows can sort it out.

Inara.

My feet carry me out of my room so fast that the walls are a blur of black and grey.

She must have been terrified when she woke up, thinking that I had left her because of something she did. I had left without waking her because she looked exhausted, and I would've loathed myself had I roused her out of the peaceful state of rest I know she desperately needed.

I had hated leaving her, but I expected the meeting to be shorter than it was. I expected to be back sooner than I was.

She's nowhere on the top floor, so I move the second, then the third, then fourth until finally I'm frantically searching the main floor.

She couldn't have left. My guards would've alerted me.

Was she hurt? A snarl rises and I quickly push it down. I will cut the throat out of anyone who even dared to look at her the wrong way. I swear if anybody put a single finger on her they will die in the thralls of torture.

Distant chatter from the kitchen draws my attention, and I don't have time to stop my wolf before he snarls, "Where is my mate?!"

I enter the dining room and am contemplating ripping up everything inside, but then Levi and Zara step out of the kitchen door, followed closely by Inara.

Unharmed. She's safe and unharmed.

My wolf still doesn't let go, and I have to watch as Levi and Zara raise their hands in surrender while simultaneously baring their necks, showing me they're not a threat.

Inara looks between the three of us, her eyes wide and body trembling in fear. She eyes Levi and Zara before mimicking their position, causing a chill inducing growl to leave my mouth.

My feet move, and before I know it I'm in front of Inara, helpless as she shakes in absolute terror.

I fight desperately for control, but my wolf has an iron lock on his side.