Chapter 6

Aziel

The relief I feel as soon as I step out of the stuffy carriage and back into my own kingdom is incredible. It's like coming up for air after being under the water too long, refreshing and clarifying oxygen filling my lungs.

The darkness of the sky washes over my skin, taking away the sticky remnants of the sun and heat. I love it.

I wait for my newfound other half to step out behind me, but the space at my back remains empty. I peak inside the wooden dome to reveal Inara sitting as rigid as a poll, peaking out of the blind and breathing like she just ran a marathon.

You forget how different this world is to her. She is not used to being bathed in shadow, my wolf points out, irritated.

Sometimes you can be a pretty helpful mutt, I reply begrudgingly.

I hop back into the carriage and shut the door, emitting a gasp from Inara as she whips her head back to face me, terror making her features look pinched.

My precious mate, what on earth have you endured? What did they put you through in that awful kingdom?

"W-what are you..." she shakes her head with a cringe before saying, " I mean you can do whatever you please, but what-"

"We are doing this at your pace," I interject lightly, my tone so soothing I almost can't believe it's mine. "If you want to sit in this carriage all night, then that's what we'll do."

Her eyes go wide, body practically tripping over itself as she scrambles to the door.

"Oh no, your highness! I don't need anymore time! I'm perfectly fine to go out now!"

A sigh slips past my lips before I gently grab her hips and set her back in her sit. I immediately regret the action, however, because now both of us are staring at my hands. Me with a raging desire to slip them beneath her shirt and feel how soft her skin is under my fingers. Her probably terrified I'm about to harm her in some way.

I slowly move them away, ignoring every instinct that's begging me for more.

"Let yourself adjust to the new atmosphere, and then we can think about the next steps," I murmur softly.

Her cheeks turn a dark shade of rose as she fidgets with her fingers nervously.

"I'm sorry," she whispers.

This girl...

"Don't apologize for being normal."

Silence follows my words, but I'm ok with that. I know what it feels like to enter a kingdom with entirely new aspects and views. It's daunting, and incredibly difficult to adjust to. The panic attack she had earlier can attest to that fact. She was so scared, and I was utterly powerless to help her. It was terrifying.

"I'm sorry you had to leave the festival early because of me," Inara's quiet voice rings out. "I know that you probably wanted to embrace all the sun and-"

"I hate the sun," I interrupt. "And I couldn't care less about the rest of that frilly festival. I went there for one thing, and she's sitting in front of me."

That's a lie. I actually went to reject that one thing, but thinking about it now makes me want to throw something.

Her cheeks turn that delicate shade of red again before she mutters, "I'm ready now."

I raise my eyebrows, head tilting down until our eyes meet before asking, "You sure?"

She takes a deep breath before nodding, her eyes searching mine, looking for disapproval or anger, I assume.