Chapter 8

Aziel

I have decided that stupid assumptions will now be called out with stupid actions. Hence why I'm currently lying on the hard floor. It was not a sane decision, and I know my back will murder me for it later, but if my mate insists on being ridiculous, I have no choice but to follow in her steps.

Who's the dog here? My wolf asks smugly.

Because you aren't head over heels already? I throw back.

A grunt is all I receive in return, and I almost smirk.

"What are you doing?" Inara whispers, panic gripping every word.

Her near constant fear makes my gut clench uncomfortably. Patience has never seemed more valuable than whenever I speak to her.

"Funny," I mutter, my fingers trailing lightly in her hair. "I was about to ask you the exact same thing."

Her posture is stiff, but I don't stop my gentle brushing, and eventually I'm rewarded by her finally relaxing her shoulders. Relief is like boulder as it crashes over me.

"I'm going to sleep," she mutters.

"Tell me, do you often sleep on the floor?"

An exhale falls from her lips before she whispers, "No, but I couldn't possibly-"

"Be exactly what I said you were? Did I stutter when I called you my equal? And if you couldn't possibly sleep in our bed, then as your equal, I couldn't possibly sleep in it either."

Silence follows my words, and It's like I can physically feel the indecision writhing inside of her mind.

my lips almost touch the shell of her ear as I lean in to whisper, "I'm asking you to sleep in that bed with me, Inara, and I'm promising you that no punishment will come to you because of it. You are safe here."

"But I-"

"Oh for goodness sake," I mutter before standing and swooping her up in one swift movement. "It wasn't up for debate, love."

Her brows are furrowed, fear and confusion marking her features in wrinkles as I set her down on the plush comforter. She sits still and wide eyed, staring at my face as I climb in after her.

"What did they tell you?"

Her eyes get impossibly wider as she stutters, "W-what?"

I gesture at her rigid position before saying, "Whoever made you scared. What did they tell you that makes you think you can't sleep here?"

Her throat rolls with a swallow before she clears her throat, fingers fidgeting restlessly in her lap. "If we are to occupy another's bed, then we are to occupy their company. We are to provide them entertainment outside the bedroom and umm, inside the bedroom."

Her words sound like an ad. Monotone and practised, like the words have been drilled into her head over and over. It makes me sick.

I unclench my jaw from the involuntary lock it dawned before making my expression look less deadly. "I expect nothing of you except sleep. Boys who need entertainment clearly misunderstand the morals of men."

She blinks several times before looking down at the soft black fabric of her pillow with longing. I can only imagine how exhausted she is, and an odd sense of relief fills me as she tentatively lies down.

"Thank you," she whispers before quickly turning so her back faces me.

I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

"Your mother is at a brunch date," Thomas informs me as I walk to the conference room. "I ensured her presence was occupied elsewhere for this particular meeting."

I had slept late, underestimating the exhaustion infused inside me until Inara made rest easy. It had been the best sleep of my life. I'd be an hour late to any meeting if it meant I could do it again.

"Who is present?" I ask as the conference room doors come into view.

"Levi, and three of the soldiers from the Unknown Woods, your highness."

The doors open with a swish of air that brings the smell of stale dust to my nose, reminding me of all the countless nights I spent in here with my father, discussing topics that I now use as daily routine. The smell is familiar, calming.

The chatter and rustling cease as I walk around to my chair at the head of the table, silence a living thing that mixes with the oxygen.

"Report," I demand from the soldiers sitting four chairs to my left.

The one sitting closest to me, Ravior, says, "We found tracks, your highness, and Movi thinks evidence of a fire was seen just West of the Blue River. We followed the tracks to an abandoned shelter." He puts his head down before adding. "He wasn't there."

My molars grind, reminding me to unlock my jaw before I ask, "How many soldiers are still out there?"

"Six, your highness. They wanted to continue searching the surrounding area, and I plan on taking another group out this evening to switch with them."

"Let me know when you go for rotations," Levi cuts in. "I want to be in the next group."

My eyes bore into the side of his head, but he does everything he can to keep his eyes away from mine.

Ravior looks between Levi and I, hesitating before he says, "I'm sure that's not necessary, Lev. We have plenty of soldiers on this case more than willing to go hunting."

Levi's eyes lock with mine as he says, "I wasn't asking if it was necessary. Put me on the next rotation."

Ravior looks to me, awaiting permission, and I nod stiffly, my eyes still locked with Levi's.

"I'll see that it's done," Ravior says with a nod.

"That is all the information I needed," I say, my jaw so tight it's bordering on painful. "Thank you Ravior. You and your men may go."

He nods before they all stand in unison, walking out of the room.

"May I suggest a meal before this conversation-"

"You may leave too, Thomas," I grind out.

He bows his head before muttering, "Yes, your highness."

The door shuts with a soft click, and I imagine it's the tiny drop of water that falls on your nose right before a giant storm swoops in.

"What the hell are you thinking," I all but snarl, my hands gripping the oak under my fingers.

He crosses his arms, undisturbed by my outrage.

"I'm thinking that I'm a way better tracker than all of them combined. I'm wondering why I haven't been put on this hunt sooner."

"Because you are my second in command, not a soldier. This expedition is incredibly dangerous. Do you know how hard it is to replace a second? To find someone you can trust to stand beside you?"

He scoffs. "Don't pretend this is anything other than the fact that you don't want me that close to your personal life. You don't want me anywhere near that section of you, and if I go with them, I will undoubtedly find him."

"You are constantly in my personal life! You've stood by my side as I've made some of the hardest decisions of my life!"

His gaze searches mine, eyes heated but not angry. "But your brother is different. You're scared of finding him, scared of finding and connecting with that part of your life again. I will not stand by as you torture yourself with constant disappointment. I'm going on the next hunt, and if you don't approve, then only my death will stop me."

The door shuts with a slam behind him, and I throw my head in my hands, exhausted, because he's right.

I'm scared of finding my brother, and I know that Levi will seek him out without a second glance.

I. Am. Terrified.