Chapter 11

Inara

Aziel had our lunch delivered to his room, explaining that the dining room gets quite full and overwhelming at meal times, and that it would be too much if we stayed down there to eat.

He took my feelings into consideration without my needing to say anything at all. I can't figure out whether or not it's a trick, a game or a facade to gain my trust. It doesn't feel fake, and when I saw him after his wolf came out I almost jumped into his arms. I was terrified, and in that moment it felt like he was the only thing that could bring me comfort.

I also almost kissed him. I've never felt for anyone what I feel for the Moon king, and it's nerve wracking to have feelings that I don't know what to do with. He looked like maybe he was about to kiss me too, but I know that was just my mind playing tricks on me. I probably looked so desperate, and embarrassment threatens to colour my neck at the thought.

"I'm so sorry, Inara. I should have gotten you something to eat last night. It completely slipped my mind," the Moon king says apologetically as he watches me inhale the sandwich I was given.

I set my sandwich down, cheeks turning pink as I make myself chew slower. I probably look like an animal. "That's okay, your highness. I really wasn't that hungry last night anyway."

Lie. But the last thing I want here is for him to be worrying about me. I can't become a burden, not when I've made it this far.

He smiles slightly. "Sure you weren't." But then his expression turns serious. "Inara, I can't believe I haven't thought of this before now, but is there any family you want moved here? It would take them some time to adjust, but I'm sure they miss you."

I'm not sure it's possible for them to miss me more than I miss them.

Kiana comes to my mind, but I know the Moon king would never let her in here.

"No," I start, my eyes dropping down as I pick my food back up. "That's ok."

There's silence for a beat, and then, "Do you mind me asking the reason why?"

I can't tell him. He'll start feeling sorry for me, and then he will get annoyed, and then next thing I know I'm back in The Post while he finally doles out my punishment.

"I just wasn't that close with them," I mutter, working to keep my voice from shaking.

A quiet, disappointed sigh ensues my words, and panic clenches my muscles.

Does he know I'm lying? I know shifters have heightened senses, but I didn't think they were that heightened. Maybe his kingdom houses anomalies as well, except instead of colourful features, they can read minds?

I'm about to spill my guts, telling him everything about my family, but he starts talking before I even open my mouth.

"I would like the kingdom medic to look over you. I don't know what treacherous things they sported in that pack, but I do know that  Bexley can probably erase it. Physically, at least."

Panic flooded my body the minute he said the word medic, and I barely hear the rest of words, fear radiating in my bones. So he does know I'm lying. This is why you don't skirt around kings! Clever lies are still lies!

"I didn't mean it!" I blurt. "I'm sorry! Please don't send me there!"

My hands slap over my mouth, eyes going wide as I realize my mistake. I asked for a way out, assuming there was one. My instincts have dulled slightly since coming here, and now I'm messing up left and right!

"Inara, you aren't in trouble," the king starts softly. "I just want to make sure you aren't in any pain."

My brain can't wrap itself around the words, instead choosing to continue dwelling on his earlier ones.