Chapter 13

Inara

My shoes hit the pavement with a crunch of gravel and dirt. The night bathes the sky in a blackness so deep it could be nothing at all. Dots of stars colour the world in an array of bright fragments, leaving no corners untouched.

It was terrifying at first, but now, after being here for a couple of days, it looks almost magical.

"I see the pain meds have kicked in," Aziel says, chuckling lightly.

I like it. A lot. It's strange how someone's laugh can trigger feelings you didn't even know existed.

"I feel much better," I say, tensing as I wait for his reply.

I've gotten a lot less cautious and a lot more trusting. He says he's safe, and something inside of me begs me to believe him.

"I want you to tell me whenever you're in pain, ok? I can't stand the thought of you suffering."

My brows furrow. "Why?"

The word slips out, so unfiltered and completely unwanted that I almost gasp out loud.

Aziel stops walking, halting my steps as he kneels down in front of me, putting us at eye level. It's astonishing how tall he is. My height is only half of his.

"Is it so hard to believe that I care for you? You are my mate, and I don't want anything more than for you to rule by my side."

My eyes widen. "Do you really mean that?"

He laughs lightly, the sound barely a breeze, and my lips twitch, but I quickly mask it.

"Yes, I often mean what I say, love."

I look down, fidgeting. "I can't be your queen. I'm not anything special. I'm not even an anomaly."

He rests his hands on my cheeks, and I notice that I don't flinch. His touch feels safe, and my body knows it.

"I would put you over some orange haired firecracker any day." He shudders. "That lady was terrifying."

A smile slips out, shining in the darkness before I'm able to snuff it away.

The king's expression sobers, his features turning to one of amazement as he whispers, "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever encountered. Your smile is amazing. Will you show it more often?"

I search his eyes, habit making me look for the trick, but as always with him, there isn't one.

"I think your laugh is the most wonderful sound in the world," I blurt, then immediately cover my mouth, eyes widening as my entire body flushes with embarrassment.

He laughs, and I have a suspicion that it's because of my words. "I'm glad you think so."

I smile again. Here, in this moment, I feel safe, alive, protected, and free. It's so easy to let pretences and precautions fall down around him, like my walls know they don't need to be up whenever he's near. It's exhilarating.

The king clears his throat, the silence apparently stretched too far. He stands, offering his hand as we once again start walking.

"Now that you've gotten some fresh air, I believe a book is waiting for us, no?"

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Consciousness slips, falling, falling, falling, fall-

I jerk myself awake, forcing myself to listen to the Aziel's words. They were so soft, so lulling and gentle. His voice was a sleepy drug, pulling me under its spell with every letter and syllable.