Chapter 5

Inara

I have successfully trained my head to stay turned to the right, facing the window. Not facing him.

I can't really see anything besides faint light and an occasional outline of a hill, but I don't trust myself to look at the alternative. I've already messed up too many times, and now I don't even know what to call him without receiving a sigh of disapproval. If I'm looking at the window then at least I don't have to try and understand the rules and regulations of his person.

At least not yet.

I'm very aware of the danger that lurks just a days ride away. I'm very aware that I'm being carted off to the Moon kingdom under the assumption that I can rule by the king's side. I can't even get his title right, and yet he thinks I'm strong enough to stand beside him and be crowned a queen.

I have lived a life of dishes and dirty sheets. I'm not even near the level of royalty he thinks I am.

My thoughts screech to a stop when the carriage halts so fast and sudden that I'm promptly thrown into the king's lap.

I push myself away so quickly that I'm surprised I evaded whiplash as I climb back onto my side.

"I'm so sorry!" I say in a rush. "I didn't mean to do that! It was an accident and I-"

He holds a hand up, and I take that as my sign to shut up.

I am definitely dead. I can't even imagine the horrible punishments they must house in the Moon pack, but I won't have to be imagining anymore. I'll have to endure everything he wants me to.

Goodness, how could I be so stupid? Ms. Granelle is right, I do have a knack for messing up. My accidents happen too often. I'm too clumsy. I-

"Inara," the Moon king says quietly.

Just my name. A shiver climbs up my spine, but I'm almost certain it's not from fear.

My eyes tentatively look up, my body so tense that my muscles cringe.

His expression isn't mad though. In fact, he has no emotion on his face. It's void of anything and everything.

Why does that seem ten times worse?

"Are you apologizing on behalf of the road, or the carriage?" He asks.

I blink, then blink again, and again.

"W-what?"

He tilts his head, studying me like one would a puzzle with several intricate pieces.

"Who are you apologizing for?"

My brows scrunch, confusion lighting my bones like a match.

"I'm apologizing for myself. For landing on top of you," I say slowly, making sure we're on the same page this time.

He leans forward, and my body tenses even more, rods of terror shoving themselves down my spine as I hold my breath.

The blow doesn't come, instead he simply asks, "What exactly made you land on me, Inara?"

My eyes narrow slightly, this conversation starting to sound more and more like a lesson. But what is he trying to teach me?

"The carriage," I mutter.

He raises his eyebrows. "So why is it your fault?"

He's playing with me. He has to be. The endless stories I was told about the violence and horror that resides in the Moon kingdom can't evade its king. One's surroundings will never not penetrate one's mind.