-Our Happiness is Us-

A/N: "Better Place" NSYNC (Trolls Band Together)

Sophie's POV:

Fitz and I are sitting together under Calla's tree. I love these quiet moments together. It's so peaceful this morning. But this moment doesn't feel as special as it should. It almost feels dull and boring, like something is off about it. Feeling the gentle breeze brushing across my face, I brush off the negative feeling and convince myself it doesn't matter anyways. Sometimes things in life can feel off. Maybe it's because I have a feeling that Fitz is going to bring up the Match test.

I'm nervous about what he will say and wondering if my unmatchable status will be a problem. I don't think it will be, since this test will be beneficial for me. It will help me not worry about the whole "Bad Match" thing. I can still fall in love and be happy with someone, right? Everyone should have some sort of happiness in their lives. If that's with someone they love, then so be it.

Fitz turns to me and says, "Sophie, I think we should start considering the Match again." "Oh, but isn't my unmatchable status going to be a problem?" I asked him out of curiosity. "Not with this test. Ever since the Matchmakers discovered it, it was revolutionary. It's almost like a cheat way into the process. Without waiting for the lists. Instead, we wait for a letter to arrive," he says a little persistently. I mean, he does have a point, but ever since this new thing came up, the same question popped in my head.

Do I really want to be with Fitz? I often wonder if he is truly what my heart desires. This is a huge commitment. I'm second-guessing my whole idea of him being my dream come true. Twelve-year-old me would have jumped at the chance, but now I am starting to doubt some things. Getting to know more about him has opened some doors that I hadn't known about before.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Fitz? I mean, it's a huge commitment," I question, a little unsure of myself. "Of course, I want to do this, Soph. It's going to be perfect with you. Besides, I don't think you can find anyone better than me," Fitz says confidently. I can think of a few people better than you, but that's not the point. The point is if I want to be with Fitz or not. Neither part of me can settle on either option. Part of me wants to be with Fitz, the other part not so much. That's probably what's holding me back a little.

I have a lot of worries about the future, mainly just fear of the unknown. Alden always says, 'No reason to worry.' I honestly think that statement is completely bogus. His phrase is the definition of "Hakuna Matata" and it's hilarious. I have found myself singing that song in my head when he says it sometimes, giving myself a good giggle.

Apart from Alden and his ridiculous phrase, the real concern is how our relationship will turn out. Will it be wonderful, or will it be dreadful, to the point where we can't stand each other? Another possibility is that Fitz's anger will get in the way of things. I can foresee that happening, and I believe that's what's worrying me the most.

"Please, Soph. This will benefit both of us," Fitz pleaded. "I am not going to say yes or no. But would it be okay for me to get some advice on this? Then I will let you know once I know for sure," I told him. Continuing, I said, "I think it would help if I had a second opinion on this. Maybe I could ask Biana how the whole process went for her. I do think our relationship could work out, but all of this is so new," I explained. He nodded.

"Okay, maybe that would help you. You know I'm the right choice for you. I can promise you won't regret it," Fitz tells me. I feel partially relieved by his response, glad that he didn't take it the wrong way.

Fitz keeps telling me that being together would be amazing and that we could do so many great things. He reminds me of all the reasons we should be together, but I had to tell him to stop using the "we're cognates" reason. It's invalid and drives me crazy when he brings it up in a silly way. I'm glad I told him to knock it off with it. I think it was driving us all crazy.

At first, I couldn't understand what he was saying, but after a while, it started to annoy me. It also bothered Biana, and she asked me to tell Fitz to stop. I agreed and approached the situation carefully to avoid making him angry. None of us wanted that. Thankfully it turned out to be the best. There are a few instances where he forgets and gets close to saying it, but I snap him out of it with my bombastic side eye.

Fitz left shortly after our conversation, saying it was time for him to be home for dinner. Tomorrow, I plan to talk to Biana about this whole thing. She's already been through it with Tam, so hopefully she will be able to explain the process to me and help put my mind at ease.

------------------------------------------

The next morning, I woke up and got ready to head over to Biana's. I had called her last night to tell her about my problem with Fitz and asked her if she could explain how this whole thing works. I know the basics, but I think it would help to know what to expect. Sometimes things like this can be scarier than some of the things we've been through with the Neverseen. The thought of finally committing to this is terrifying.

I quickly grabbed a snack and shouted to Edaline that I was heading over to Everglen. After hearing her quick response, I headed out the door to the Leapmaster and said "EVERGLEN." I step through the light.

The bright gates came into view, and Biana ran outside to let me in. "Hey Soph," she greeted. "Hi Bi. Thanks for agreeing to talk to me," I replied. "Hey, what are friends for? Come on, let's head up to my room, and we can talk about this. Hopefully, clearing your doubts," she said. I nodded in agreement, and she led me to her room. Upon entering her room, I was again reminded of Barbie and their obsession with glitter. I almost giggle at the comparison.

As we sit down on her bed, she turns to me and asks, "Alright, what's troubling you?" I tell her, "Well, I was mostly wondering how this all works. I mean, you've done the test with Tam, so I was curious about your experience." She admits, "It was super easy to do. I'd say it's much easier than doing the lists. All you really do is fill out a form requesting the test and then fill out the necessary questions about your partner. Make sure you double-check it once you're done. Better to be safe than sorry."

I nodded in agreement and asked, "Okay, anything else?" She explained that after that, my partner and I would need to submit our forms and then the Matchmakers would ask us some questions. After that, we would have to wait a few days. The timing varies for everyone, but once the Matchmakers get the results, you will receive a letter informing us of our test results.

I asked her curiously, "How did you and Tam feel while waiting for it?" "We were a little nervous, but not at the same time. We had a feeling it would be alright. Besides, the test isn't all that intimidating, as some people make it out to be," she said, helping to reassure me. "Honestly Sophie, yes, commitment can be difficult to choose at times. But if you know in your heart that this is something you should do, why hold back?" Biana tells me.

She does have a point. If I know this is a good choice, what is holding me back from my happiness? Nothing really, just worrying about the most ridiculous things. I think that a life with Fitz will be the best choice I will ever make. Let's hope I know what I am doing.

After my conversation with Biana, I gained a better understanding of the situation. I now believe that this could be a positive step to take. I'm not sure why I was so hesitant before. There is nothing to fear.

Everything is going to be okay. This will all be worth doing.  

----------------------------------------------------------

FYI: I might throw in occasional TUESDAY update. Sometimes I will do both stories on either TUESDAY or FRIDAY.  I wanted to make updates more frequent instead of once a week. 

"That's all we are. The sun comes up and it goes back down. We search for love and its love we found. We live our life now; we've come this far. We won't stop now; this is all we are." (All We Are-Richello)

Keep Being Cool

-KotLC183