-The Sad Behind the Smile-

A/N: "Perfect For Me" Justin Timberlake (Trolls World Tour)

Keefe's POV: 

I sat alone in his bedroom, my mind heavy with thoughts of Sophie. I couldn't deny the depth of my love for her, every fiber of my being yearned for her affection. But with every beat of my heart, there was a bitter taste of resentment. Resentment towards the universe that had made Sophie so perfect for him, yet destined her to be with Fitz, someone she didn't truly love.

Tears was filling my eyes. Staring out the window, lost in a world of his own thoughts. It felt like a cruel twist of fate, as if the universe was mocking him for even daring to dream of a happily ever after. Today he found out that she and Fitz are going to be signing up for the Match soon. From what Biana said Sophie wanted to think about it. She seemed to doubt it a little bit. That didn't give me much hope though since I am positive, she will end up picking Fitz.  

Sophie had been the sun in Keefe's life, her infectious smile and radiant personality forever etched in his mind. He had fallen in love with her from the moment their eyes had met, feeling as if he had finally found the missing piece to his puzzle. Pondering on their shared moments, the sparkle in her eyes when she laughed, and the warmth he felt whenever they were together filled his every waking thought. But now, he had made the painful decision to bury his feelings for her once and for all. He knew deep down that she would never be his, and it tore at his soul.  

I am starting to feel a tiny sense of regret. Not telling Foster how I truly feel about her. It doesn't matter now anyways. She's got Fitz, a person she thinks she's in love with, but I've seen it. Because of her obliviousness she is misplacing gratitude for him. Due to this Fitz will never truly have Sophie's heart. 

He hated how everything turned out to be. Almost like the universe was laughing at him, telling him that he has no hope at love. Keefe had promised to wait until she was ready for more and be the person, she needs me to be, but this is the last straw. I can't keep pinning after her if she's determined to be with someone else. I can't help my frustration at the same time. Fitz gets EVERYTHING he wants. He's a spoiled golden boy. Kind of wish he wasn't, because if he wasn't spoiled like he is, he may be a better person.

But all he cares about is his Vacker reputation and if something is there to boost it, he will jump at the chance to get it. 

As Keefe wrestled with his emotions, his ogre bodyguard Ro approached him, a from etched on her face. She had always been there for him; I would even go as far to say she is the number one Sokeefe shipper. That ship name was her idea not mine, but I don't hate it. Nice to have someone who also sees that me and Sophie are made for each other. Glad I am not the only one. Just wish Sophie could feel the same. 

"Hunkyhair, what you are moping about?" Ro said in her usual tone of voice. Keefe forced a smile, masking his pain. "Oh, it's nothing. Just lost in my own thoughts, I guess." Her eyes narrowed, unrelenting in her pursuit of the truth. "Don't try to fool me, Hunkyhair. I know you well enough to know when somethings eating at you. What's wrong?" 

Keefe hesitated for a moment, unsure whether he should burden Ro with his troubles. But she had always been there for him, through thick and thin. With a heavy sigh, he finally opened up. "It's Sophie. I found out today that she and Fitz are considering for the Match and have a good chance of signing up. They're perfect for each other, and it's made me realize that I can't keep holding onto something that will never be."

Ro's eyes hardened as frustration flooded her expression. "Sheesh why does Mr. Perfect Pants always have to get in the way. I mean seriously he don't know how to treat a girl right." She does have a point there. Fitz hasn't been exactly when it comes to treating her. I mean Sophie was terrified to tell him about her Unmatchable status. She came to me and told me first, not Fitz. Worried that he would react with anger, and yep that's what happened. Always turning into anger when something doesn't go his way. 

"I can agree with you there but since now the Match is involved now, I can't continue living in this hopeless fantasy." I confessed to her. It was time to bury my feelings, knowing I will never be able to get rid of them because from what I've learned you sometimes can't get rid of what's true and real. Ro scowled a little. "Just you wait somethings going to happen between those two, I can feel it. Then you can come swooping in with your Hunkyhair charm and sweep the sweet princess of her feet." I almost laughed at Ro's comment. 

I would have to agree that I can't deny that Sophie and Fitz's relationship will not turn out like they want it to. Somethings bound to go wrong, but I don't know what that will be yet. But I am not going to interfere with Sophie's happiness. That's unfair and I don't want to ruin it for her. Her happiness means more to me than anything. If she's happy than things are okay. 

No matter how much it hurts. 

Being in love can be a challenging experience. It can be incredibly beautiful, or it can lead to heartbreak. It tugs at your most vulnerable emotions and requires you to take a huge risk if your feelings are reciprocated. The biggest challenge is that you're always taking risks when it comes to love. Your heart is on the line, and it's uncertain whether it will be broken or made stronger by the person you love. 

Love, he realized, was not something to be taken lightly. It was not just a word thrown around carelessly. Love was a choice, a commitment to another person, a willingness to put their happiness above your own. And in that moment, as he watched the sunset painting the sky in hues of pink and gold. The gold reminded him of Sophie's beautiful golden flecks that sparkle in her eyes. The flecks that I believe that Fitz has never seen. I don't think he's tried to look close enough. 

"You know, Hunkyhair, Blondie's obliviousness blows my mind. But someday someone is going to have to talk some sense into that girl. She can't be oblivious to everything in front of her," Ro stated, a little awe in her voice. Yeah, no one was kidding when they say love is blind. That's an understatement of the century in Foster's case. She takes that phrase to a whole new level. 

Right now, is not the time to try and pursue her. It's time to bury my feelings and be the friend Sophie needs supporting her through this new stage of her life. My support will be beneficial for her. I will continue to love her will all my heart, but I need to embrace this part of life. Definitely will hurt loving her from afar but I will do it if it means Sophie can have her happily ever after. I was willing to sacrifice his own desires for Sophie's happiness. 

The thought of Sophie's radiant smile being reserved solely for Fitz stung himself like a dull knife. I yearned to be the one who brought that smile to her lips, to be the reason for her laughter. But I also knew that true love couldn't be forced or manipulated. Sophie deserved true happiness, and if that meant being with Fitz, then I would have to bear the burden of my unrequited love.

Except it may not be as unrequited as it seems. I just don't know what to extent. A small part of me can't help but doubt about this whole thing. Like is this a good idea? I can't shake the feeling that Sophie's heart will be broken in the end of all of this. Shaking the feeling off knowing there is nothing I can do now. 

As the sun dipped below the horizon, I watched out the window watching the blossoms and leaves gently slay against the gentle breeze. He thought about the moments he and Sophie had shared – stolen glances, secret smiles, and the moments when their hands brushed against each other. I had felt a warmth in my heart like I had never experienced before, a connection that went beyond friendship. But it seemed that Sophie was blinded by her loyalty to Fitz.

It's time to bury my feelings for her and be happy for her. No matter how much it hurts. 

---------------------------------------------------

AHHH! I feel so bad for Keefe.....but at the same time good things are coming his way. 

"I hate that you're perfect, perfect for me. If I didn't know better. Then I would believe that we were made for each other." (Perfect For Me--Trolls 2)

Keep Being Cool

-KotLC183