-A Talk With Friends-

A/N: "Iko Iko (My Bestie) Justin Wellington

Sophie's POV: 

As I lay on my bed, the room felt dull and a little sad. I hadn't expected to feel this way. I would have rather felt happy and joyful that a dream was coming true that I had for a while. But now that's not happening. Something tells me that this was, I suppose, the breakup and the heartbreak was the worst of it. Maybe there's something good awaiting for me around the corner. I don't know, but hopefully this is the very thing that Keefe had said: "Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better."

After spending a few days in solitude, I've been pondering on what I should do now. I'm still trying to mend my heart back together after the severe blow from what Fitz had said to me. It wasn't as bad as last time, but this time it gave me a huge sense of clarity. I've realized that our relationship was mostly about him, and I was just there to make him look good and feel powerful.

I was more of his object of perfection that he expected me to be. But obviously, I never lived up to what he envisioned. Honestly, I never could, no matter how hard I tried. No one was born to be perfect; you were born to be real. In moments like this, I really hate how oblivious I can be to things. But I am anyway, and I have to deal with it and drive people bonkers when it comes to it.

My imparter started to vibrate, and I sat up to grab it. I saw that it was Biana calling. Reluctantly, I answered, and her concerned face appeared on the screen. "Soph, we need to talk," she said with a worried tone. "I know, Bi. Has it been bad?" I asked, already knowing the answer. "Yes. He almost trashed his room, but he destroyed something outside instead. He needed something tougher to break," Biana replied.

"I'm sorry, Bi," I apologized. "Don't be sorry, Sophie. This wasn't your fault. Fitz chose to be angry about it. If he chooses that, then it's his fault," Biana says. She did have a point there.

"Me and the rest of the group are here. Maybe you should come over too to talk about it. It may help to have your friends' support in this too," Biana says encouragingly. I thought about it for a moment. It seemed like a good idea. Maybe having their support could help too. I mean, isn't that what true friends do? Stand by your side and support you as you support them back.

"Also, Sophie, you are going to see us one way or another. We don't want you to be alone in this," She points out. "Alright, Biana, I'll be over in a little bit," I replied. "Great, see you in a minute," Biana said before hanging up.

I got up and brushed out my hair to get rid of the nasty bird's nest that had formed. Lately, I haven't been too concerned about my appearance. I was more focused on my well-being and comfort. After finishing my hair, I changed into something casual that wasn't my pajamas.

I let Edaline know I am heading over to Everglen. Reaching the Leapmaster I say EVERGLEN. I am whisked away into the light.

Everglen's beautiful bright light soon appears, and Biana greets me, her eyes having a mixture of sympathy and concern. "Glad you came Soph."

"Yea. Me too, glad to be somewhere that's not my room." I chuckled trying to lighten my mood up. She giggles. "Come on let's head inside and talk about all this. Fitz isn't here. He is out Dad in Atlantis for something. All he says was "No reason to worry." She says mocking Alden's voice as we start walking inside together. I hate that phrase with my life.

As I entered Everglen I noticed Dex, Marella and Keefe were all there, as well as Tam and Linh. The usual banter was replaced by a tense silence that seemed to hum with unspoken words. I sank into a chair, feeling the weight of their gazes upon me.

"We heard what happened," Dex spoke up first, his eyes filled with a mix of surprise and worry. "You and Fitz not being matched... that's unexpected."

I nodded, my mind still reeling from the revelation. Fitz and I had been so certain, so confident in our compatibility. How could the matchmaking fail us?

Marella reached out a hand to gently squeeze mine, offering silent comfort as Dex hesitated, then spoke again. "But there's some good news too. Marella and I... we passed the eligibility test."

A slight smile tugged at the corners of my lips, genuine happiness for my friends warming my heart. "That's amazing, Dex. I'm really happy for both of you."

Keefe chimed in. "Well, it looks like love is in the air today. First Sophie and Fitz broke the matchless streak, and now Dex and Marella are official. What's next, a meteor falling out of the sky?"

Keefe, ever the provocateur, couldn't resist adding his signature humor to lighten the heavy atmosphere. He added on "Or it looks like the matchmaking system really knows how to shake things up. Maybe I should try it out, see if it can handle all this charm." His teasing brought a genuine chuckle from me, a brief moment of relief amidst the confusion and uncertainty. Keefe's ability to lighten the mood was a gift, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there could still be moments of laughter.

As the evening wore on, the tension slowly ebbed away, replaced by a sense of camaraderie and friendship. We talked and laughed, shared stories and dreams, finding solace in each other's company.

And in that moment, surrounded by those who cared for me, I realized that no matter what challenges the future held, I would never face them alone. With friends like these by my side, I knew I could weather any storm, navigate any uncertainty. As the night drew to a close, I left Everglen with a renewed sense of hope and determination. The road ahead might be fraught with obstacles and unknown dangers, but I knew that as long as I had my friends with me, I could face whatever came my way.

Biana's POV: 

I watched Sophie walk out of the room; her shoulders slumped with the weight of her recent breakup with Fitz and failing the match. I knew even after talking about it when it still hung on her shoulders. As the door closed behind her, a heavy silence settled over the group, punctuated only by the faint ticking of the grandfather clock in the corner. Slowly, our eyes turned to each other, a silent understanding passing between us.

"How can we help her?" Dex's voice broke the quiet, filled with genuine concern.

"Maybe we can plan a girls' night out," Marella suggested, her blue eyes sparkling with determination. "Just us, no boys allowed."

"I could bake some of my famous cinnamon rolls," Linh offered, a small smile playing on her lips.

Keefe, ever the joker, piped up with his trademark grin. "I'll bring the glitter bombs for a surprise attack. Nothing cheers up a friend like a glitter explosion!"

We all chuckled at his antics, grateful for the brief moment of levity amidst the somber atmosphere. But underneath the laughter, the shadow of Sophie's pain lingered, casting a pall over our hearts.

"I think we should also give her space when she needs it," Linh added softly, her gentle voice cutting through the chatter. "Let her know we're here for her, but respect her need for solitude."

I nodded in agreement, feeling a surge of gratitude for the friends gathered around me. Despite our differences and occasional squabbles, we were a family in every sense of the word. And family stuck together through thick and thin.

As the evening wore on, we brainstormed ideas for supporting Sophie, each suggestion more heartfelt than the last. From organizing a surprise movie night to creating a memory book filled with happy moments, we poured our love and creativity into finding ways to lift Sophie's spirits.

But some of us also knew that this may have been a blessing in disguise. Yes, it hurt Sophie, and none of us wanted that. But maybe this is the dark storm before the beautiful rainbow appears.

I can feel in my heart that good things are about to come for her.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

KEEFE!🤣🤣

"Bind me not to the pasture. Chain me not to the plow. Set me free, to my find my calling. And I'll return to you somehow." (Homeward Bound)

Keep Being Cool

-KotLC183