-A Different Kind of Love-

Fitz's POV: 

Sitting in a dimly lit room, I stared at the blank wall, my mind swirling with thoughts of what went wrong between Sophie and me. We had been through so much together – adventures, danger, and even moments of understanding that felt deeper than anything I had experienced before. Yet, the Eligibility test results had shattered my hopes and dreams of us being together as more than friends. Why weren't we a match? Why did fate seem to continuously push us apart?

I closed my eyes, recalling the night when Sophie and I had taken the test. The anticipation had been both thrilling and terrifying. I had hoped against hope that our unmatched status was just a glitch in the system. But as reality sunk in, I felt a mixture of disappointment and confusion cloud my judgment.

I remember how angry I was when she told me the news. At the time, I was frustrated and livid that the Match wasn't going my way. Looking back on it, I can now see that getting angry at her was uncalled for. I seriously need to get it in my head that anger is never the way to solve any problem.

As I sat there, lost in my thoughts, I realized something profound - Sophie and I weren't meant to be romantically involved. Our connection ran deeper than mere physical attraction. We were soulmates in a different way, bound by a unique bond as Cognates. Then again me constantly reminding her of that.... yeah, I can see why that was so annoying. The special, rare mental connection.

My heart, heavy with the weight of this revelation, struggled to accept the truth. How could I have missed this fundamental understanding of our relationship all this time? The answer came to me slowly, like a flickering light in the darkness. I had let my desires blind me, clouding my judgment and distorting my perceptions of what truly mattered.

Sophie had always been there for me, supporting me, challenging me, and pushing me to be the best version of myself. Our friendship was a treasure beyond measure, a rare gem that I had taken for granted in my quest for something more. In my pursuit of romantic love, I had failed to see the beauty of the love that was right in front of me all along.

With a heavy sigh, I stood up and walked over to the window. The moon cast a soft glow over the landscape outside, illuminating the familiar surroundings of our world. In that moment of clarity, I understood that friendship was the foundation upon which all meaningful relationships were built. It was the bond that held us together through the trials and tribulations of life, the thread that wove our souls into a tapestry of shared experiences and memories.

As the dawn broke, I made a silent vow to myself – to cherish and nurture the friendship that Sophie and I shared, to celebrate the connection that transcended labels and boundaries. I would no longer let my anger or disappointment cloud my vision of what was truly important. I would embrace the beauty of our Cognate relationship, honoring it with all the love and respect it deserved.

I smiled to myself, feeling a sense of peace wash over me. Sophie and I were destined for something greater than a mere romantic entanglement. We were destined for a friendship that would stand the test of time, a bond that would weather any storm and emerge stronger on the other side.

And with that comforting thought in my heart, I took a deep breath and set off to face the day, knowing that no matter what lay ahead, I had the most precious gift of all – a friend like Sophie by my side, our Cognate connection unbreakable, enduring, and everlasting.

But my stubbornness, my foolish pride, had clouded my judgment. Anger, that gnawing beast, had reared its ugly head, poisoning the well of our friendship. I had let it consume me, blind me to the truth that lay right in front of me. And now, as I sat alone in the quiet solitude of my room, I knew that I had to set things right.

A deep breath steadied my nerves as I decided. I needed to apologize to Sophie, not with empty words and half-hearted gestures, but with sincerity and humility. I needed to show her that I was willing to change, to grow, to let go of the past and embrace the future with an open heart

And so, as the sun rose on a new day, I stepped out of my room with a renewed sense of purpose and gratitude. The journey ahead was uncertain, filled with challenges and uncertainties, but I knew that if Sophie and I stood united as friends, nothing could ever tear us apart. In the end, it wasn't about being each other's match in the traditional sense – it was about being each other's anchor, guiding light, and most cherished confidant.

As I pieced together the fragments of my past actions and words, I realized that my purpose lay not in seeking love or validation from others but in learning to love and accept myself. I had to let go of the need for external affirmation, to find solace and strength in my own unique identity and worth.

But beyond the need for apologies, beyond the desire to mend what was broken, lay a deeper realization. I had been trapped by my reputation, by the expectations thrust upon me as the perfect golden boy of our society. I had lived in fear of tarnishing that image, of veering off the path laid out for me by others. But in that self-imposed prison, I had lost sight of my true self, of the person I wanted to be beyond the confines of expectations.

As the night stretched on, I made a silent vow to break free from those chains, to embrace the authenticity of my emotions, to pursue my own happiness even if it meant defying the expectations of others. I understood now that true strength lay not in conforming to a mold but in embracing one's own uniqueness, in standing tall in the face of uncertainty, unafraid to chart one's own course.

With a newfound sense of clarity, I rose from my solitude, ready to face the challenges that lay ahead. The journey towards reconciliation with Sophie would be fraught with obstacles, but I was determined to walk that path with courage and honesty. And beyond that, I knew that the road to self-discovery and self-acceptance awaited, beckoning me to step forward into the unknown with an open heart and a resolute spirit.

In that moment, I knew that the journey ahead would be arduous, that the path of self-discovery was fraught with challenges and uncertainties.

But I also knew that I was no longer alone, that with every step I took towards my true self, Sophie would be there beside me, a beacon of friendship and understanding guiding me towards a brighter tomorrow. And with that thought in my heart, I moved forward, ready to face whatever lay ahead with courage and determination.

I can no longer let anger take me away from what's truly important. Upholding my reputation is not worth it if I'm not truly happy.

Now with a strong sense of clarity. It was time to set aside my pride, my wounded ego, and reach out to Sophie with a sincerity that could heal the wounds I had inflicted. I probably won't get her forgiveness easily since I probably ripped her heart out and had it shattered. Which I'll be fine with since I won't be satisfied for at least apologizing to her. Instead of leaving our relationship awkward and strained.

The next day at school, my heart raced as I sought her out, the weight of my words heavy on my tongue. I found her by her locker, her expression guarded, her eyes betraying a hint of apprehension as she met my gaze.

"Hey, Sophie," I began, my voice trembling with emotion. "Can we talk, please? There's something I need to say to you." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

*See....I knew Fitz wasn't a terrible person. Figured I'd show him in a better light in this story. But just know he isn't getting her forgiveness easily he's gonna have to earn it. *

*BUT he will still be ROASTED ALIVE in Always My Hero.* 

"I wanna be the ocean to your shore. Bring you comfort evermore. I wanna be the only thing you need. Be the oxygen you breathe." (Oxygen--Maia Mitchell: Teen Beach Movie.)

 Keep Being Cool

-KotLC183