9 | cheater cheater pumpkin eater

"Karaoke!" Hikari screeched, grabbing you by the shoulders. She shook you harshly, her blonde hair and freckled face gleaming in the sun. School was finally back in after the devil attack, and the group finally gathered.

It was the devil hunter club, Seigi, Haruka, Fami, Yoshida, along with you, your friend Chiyo, and Hikari. Haruka caught up to you with a smile and kissed you. "Hey, (y/n)." He slung an arm around your shoulder. "Where's the rest of your friends? I've got a room for ten, and it was expensive."

"I know, they bailed last minute." You sighed.

"Bailed?" Chiyo gasped. "I would never bail on you, (l/n)." She said.

"I know." You said.

"You said ten?" Seigi asked, his voice deep and low.

"Wait. Where's your shy friend, Haruka?" You said.

"Ooh. He flaked, too." He grumbled.

"Mmh, no worries, I'll try to invite someone." A smooth, silky voice trolled. Your eyes turned to the relatively unfamiliar yet familiar sound-- and there was Yoshida. He was popular around here for his looks, but the two of you never crossed paths. You were taken, and it didn't seem like he was interested in anyone at school.

He was the devil hunter guy. He was pale, with dark hair and even darker eyes, with piercing edging up and down his ear.

"It's good to officially meet you, (Y/n). I'm Yoshida, the newest member of the devil hunter club. I've heard a lot about you." He threw you a nice, bewitching smile, ans stretched out his hand for you to shake. In aw, you shook it, smiling softly.

"I hope only good things." You said.

"Of course... You know, Haruka describes you perfectly." He said.

"Hey! Why don't we invite those two over there." Hikari said. She pointed towards two students, and they looked close in age. One was a girl in black, low pigtails, the other was a blonde boy, his hair golden, almost orangey in color. He had his face turned to her, his back to us.

Your eyebrows furrowed, and you stopped walking.

"Sure. I'm down." Haruka said. He took his arm from off your shoulded, and the group approached them.

Your eyebrows furrowed more.

Was that-?
The blonde boy turned, his eyes brown, his teeth sharp and pointy.

It was Denji...

You caught up to the rest of the group in a panic, your heart thumping like a flustered but anxiety ridden hammer.

"Hey, it's you!" You heard Denji gasp, and you glanced up with scared eyes. But instead of looking at you, he stared straight at Yoshida, an annoyed, agitated finger pointed up at him.

"Denji. We're glad you're joining us." He smirked.

You sighed a sigh of relief, and that small noise made Denji's eyes finally find you. You tense. He blinks once. Then, he glosses over you like you were another face in the crowd.

Your heart shattered, and you grabbed onto your dress.

You knew it.

"Hey, wait, isn't that chicken girl?" Chiyo asked.

You turned to the girl in pigtails, her face warping in horror, "I erm... I uh... That I..." She stammered. The girl began to turn to walk away when Denji slung a hand over her shoulder, pulling her into him.

"Her name is Asa Mitaka." He said.

You gasped.
It was like a truck ran you over.

Mitaka flushed profoundly, her eyes avoiding any eye contact with anyone as she straightened herself up in his hold.