estrellas~chapter 20

I woke up in my bed, I don't even remember going to bed last night. I guess that I must've fallen asleep during the movie.

When I walk downstairs I see two new people in the kitchen.

"Umm... Good Morning Belly," I say cautiously to her.

"Morning Laur, this is their Aunt Julia and this is Skye," Belly says to me.

I give Skye a little awkward wave.

"Mmm, did somebody get muffins?" Conrad says as he and Jere come back from a morning Surf.

"Hey, Jeremiah, Conrad..." Skye says.

"You didn't tell me she was here," Connie answers rudely.

"It's 'they' not 'she.' God, I guess it's been like a decade since I saw you guys. Um, how are you doing since your mom?" Skye asks the boys.

Jere answers, "It's been rough."

"Rougher now that our Aunt's stealing our house." Conrad interrupts.

Julia slams something down, "I'm not stealing anything, Conrad. Like it or not, I get to choose what happens to this house and I choose to put it on the market. You boys should get on the road. Beat the traffic back to Boston..."

"There's no chance. We're staying for the open house." Conrad snaps back. He even changes the way he stands, now his shoulders are more back. Almost like he was a lion defending his territory.

Jere and I give a look to one another and he just smiles at me, god, I missed that smile.

"I don't have time for this," Julia says as she walks to another room.

"Conrad, she's still your family," I say to him, he is fuming.

"Then why is she doing this to us?"

"This is hard for her too," Skye says to him. That may have just been the thing to set him off.

"Really? Seems like she's doing this all pretty fսcking easily!" He storms out.

I sigh and fiddle with my rings.

I get dressed when I hear the doorbell ring, naturally, I answer it.

"Hi, can I help you?" I ask some lady holding folders in her hand.

"Sandy Denati, I'm looking for Julia."

"Right, yes, uh, for the open house," I had to think quickly on my feet, "Sadly, she ultimately decided not to sell, she wants to keep the house in the family, you know?"

"Sorry, who are you?"

"She's my girlfriend," Jeremiah suddenly appears.

"She's having some second thoughts. The house is not for sale."

"I take it you're Conrad Fisher?"

"I'm Jeremiah, his brother."

"My apologies, It's nice to see you. I am sorry about your mom."

"Well, clearly not sorry enough to pass up the opportunity to sell her house."

Unfortunately, Julia appears, "Ignore them!" She yells, "There will be an open house today. But there does seem to be a minor problem with the AC. It died."

Jere and I walk back into the kitchen.

"I thought our plan would work," I say.

"Um...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you my girlfriend."

"Oh, uh it's fine. We just had to play the part." I laugh.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Conrad asks as he walks in.