estrellas~chapter 40

(A/N FLASHBACKS IN ITALICS)

As we pulled up to the house, I saw a very familiar person run outside.

I nearly threw myself out of the car when I saw my twin brother, Steven, standing in the driveway of the beach house. I kept telling Jere to hurry and stop the car but he wouldn't listen, so I opened the door and tumbled into Steven's arms.

"Stevo!" I yelled into his face as our arms connected, "I missed you so much!"

We waddled back and forth until I saw Conrad, I was hesitant to go hug him. I knew I would get sas from Belly, but it would feel wrong to not, not hug him. I mean, we were platonic friends, nothing more. She said to herself in the past that she was happy we were so close, but now she is just jealous.

In the end, I walked over to him next and lightly wrapped my arms around him. I think he was just as shocked as I was by my actions. Every summer we would all tackle each other's arms so why not right now?

"Hey Con," I said to him. As I did so, I heard a cough from behind, Belly was standing there with her hands across her torso. I barely even touched him; if anything, it was a pathetic touch, barely even a hug.

"Hi Belly," I say to her, she gives me a nod and goes inside. I feel like she shot me, this is the longest we've been cold to one another. As she walks into the house, my mother comes running out.

"Lauren! Jeremiah! You're here!" She yells while reaching for me. I let her cradle me in her arms as it feels nice to see my mother so cheerful.

After our embrace, my mother goes to Jere next. I see his curls practically consume her face.

I look around taking everything in, it hasn't changed one bit.

"It hasn't changed a bit," I say to Steven while smiling. I can't help but reminisce on the past. Every part of this house has a memory.

"Lauren my dear, promise me you will take care of Jere? You two are just meant to be," Sussanah once said to me while we were admiring the view on the front porch.

"What do you mean?" A young and innocent me asked her.

She smiled and tucked my hair around my ear, "Take care of him, Lauren, for me." I would give anything to see her again.

I always thought her hope for Jere and me was silly, Jeremiah was just my best friend at the time. But now, everything has changed. Those little comments were just her way of predicting the future. I hoped we were making Sussanah proud.

Everyone began to walk back inside when I felt Jeremiah come up behind me and wrap his hands around his waist, he shifted so our faces were looking at one another.

He made it clear that he wanted me to take a deep breath, probably sensing how stressed I was, so I did. We both took a deep breath as we walked into the house.

Everything was still the same, exactly like how she had left it.

As we walk in, I notice a lack of our fathers.

"Are Dad and Mr.Fisher at the store?" I ask my mother as we walk into the kitchen.

She shakes her head, "No, they're not coming until the fourth, I asked Belly to text you."

I shoot Jeremiah a worried glance, "Oh, um, right," He answers. I shot Belly a glare and she was already smirking at me back.

Jeremiah and I use our 'esp' to communicate that we need to talk, in private.

"I'll go get the bags," I say- trying to send him a sign.

"I'll help,'' Jere chimes back. Good, I thought, maybe our ESP did work.

As we go outside to retrieve our bags from the car I stop him next to the back-passenger door.

"What are we going to do Jere? Tell everyone else except our dads? They would freak!"

He looks at me concerned, I start to breathe deeply and shake. I've had anxiety before but never this badly.

He's talking but I don't understand him.

The only words I can release out of my mouth are, "What are we going to do? What are we going to do? What are we going to do!"

I feel tears flood my eyes and then he pulls me into the back of the jeep and holds me as I struggle to breathe, he brushes my hair with his fingers as I begin to cry. My thoughts are so loud I can't hear or understand what he's saying, the pain in my chest is just getting worse and worse.

Then I feel the car shake as someone bangs on the window, my thoughts calm down a little and I think I hear someone yell, "Are you guys banging in there?''

I look at Jeremiah and he giggles while opening the door, it was Conrad.

"Shit, Laur, what's going on?" He is worried about me.

I shake my head and try to wipe my face clean of any evidence of tears, "I'm fine, just fine..."

He furrows his brow, "Sure, Jeremiah what's going on? You two have been acting weird."

Jere looks at me with a face wanting to give in but I shake my head no, "It's not the right time," I say to Jere.

"What's not the right time, shit, what did you two get into?" Conrad pests, "Oh fuck..."

Jere and I look at Connie scared, "I figured it out," Conrad says, "Goddamit! Lauren Eva Conklin, you're pregnant?" He yells while reaching to fidget with his hair, "Steven is going to flip!"

My eyes feel like they are about to burst from my head and I know Jeremiah can tell too. He rests his hand on my lower back in a way of comfort.

"She's not pregnant, Conrad," Jeremiah answers back.

"She's not? Then what is wrong?"

I sigh and give him a small smile, I move my engagement ring to the correct finger. I wave my hands excitedly, "Surprise, we're engaged," I say.

Conrad takes one deep swallow.

All he can say again is, "Steven is going to kill you."