Saving a life and losing a life.

(A/n: good luck!)

The group had achieved some jackets for there wet bodies, running and hiding behind some small walls. Newt beginning to cough, Y/n looked at him anxiously. Newt had the flare, y/n had already suspected he did but she didn't want to believe it. This was her best friend she was talking about, she couldn't lose him.

"Well, they're definitely pissed." Gally said, everyone trying to catch their breaths. "How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked. "Uh. Maybe 12 blocks from here." Gally informed, interrupted by a loud cough from Newt. Y/n who sat on the other side of Newt, rubbing his shoulder.

"We can make it." Gally says, trying to put Thomas at ease. Minho crouched in front of Newt, his eyes moving from Newt to Y/n and then back to Newt. "How you feeling?" Minho asked, Newt letting out a small groan. "Terrible." Newt replies before raising his hand and patting his best mates shoulder. "It's good to see you though, and you too." He smiled at both, y/n giving his free hand a small squeeze.

Minho then moved to Thomas going to talk to him, Y/n stayed with Newt. "You'll be okay, you hear me?" Y/n said, pushing Newts wet hair back. She couldn't bare to see him like this, her heart was breaking. "Y/n." Newt breathed heavily, grabbing her hand into his. "You take care of Minho and Tommy for me, okay?" Newt said, Y/n shook her head her eyes becoming glossy.

"Don't talk to me like that, don't talk to me like you're about to die." She choked out, hugging him tightly and feeling him rub her back. "I promise. You'll be okay." She said, pulling away and looking at him sternly. Before Newt even had a chance to speak, Thomas came up to them both.

"Come on, help me get him up Y/n." Thomas said, Newt standing up and stumbling while the two siblings quickly helped him.

As the group ran an explosion went off, shaking the whole area and gunshots began to erupt. Everyone stared at the scene in front of them, Y/n had looked back to Thomas and Minho who were carrying Newt and then to Gally. "We're supposed to take down WCKD, not the whole damn city." Gally said, hurt displayed in his eyes.

"Gally, come on." Thomas said, the three boys began to move. "I'm sorry, Gally." Y/n said, patting his shoulder as the alarms began to blare. She quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him with her.

"Stay low!" Gally informed, the group hiding behind a wall again. "Get ready!" A soldier yelled. "Damn it." Gally muttered. "What are they waiting for?" Minho asked, after a few seconds an explosion went off again followed by a riot of people. "Stay down! Stay down!" Thomas yelled, Minho hovering over Y/n's body to protect her.

"We gotta go, we gotta go!" Gally said, the group quickly stood up both Minho and Thomas helping Newt up and they began to run.

The group then ran into the store, placing Newt down onto the floor. Everyone was out of breath, Newt was getting more worse by the second. Minho held Y/n's hand tightly, they both looked at each other sadly. "He's gonna be alright." Y/n assured him, trying to smile.

Minho looked to Newt, his best friend. His brother basically. He then looked back to Y/n, nodding his head. "Yeah." He said. "Just look for us near the tunnels!" They heard Brenda say over the walkie-talkie. Maybe there was hope after all.

"Newt, we're almost there!" Gally yelled over the chaos, Y/n strayed behind the boys just in case. "Just leave me." Newt said. "Are you crazy!?" Y/n yelled, a car then flying past. They all backed up and leaned Newt against the wall.

They all notice the berg fly by, Thomas quickly going to help Newt up again. "Go without me, you should just-" Newt began to speak before throwing up a black liquid, trying his best to fight off the flare.