Chapter Eight

Cherry stands at the top of the opening in the ground with a deep frown on her face and shaky knees as she watches the clerics, River, and Amy climb down a flimsy, makeshift ladder which wobbles with their every movement

Cherry stands at the top of the opening in the ground with a deep frown on her face and shaky knees as she watches the clerics, River, and Amy climb down a flimsy, makeshift ladder which wobbles with their every movement. "Are you fu-"

"Hurry up, Cherry!" The Doctor pats her on the back, grinning. "We've got places to be."

"No," Cherry shakes her head, stepping away from the hole. She bumps into the Doctor, her back pressing flush against his chest, and she blushes as his hands find their way to her waist to stop her from falling to the floor. "There's no way I am climbing down that!"

"Well, you can always wait in the Tardis," the Doctor says, taking a key out of his pocket and holding it in front of her. She frowns, glancing between the key and the smug look on the Doctor's face as he is apparently very sure of what her answer will be.

"I hate you," Cherry seethes, narrowing her eyes at him before taking a deep breath and shakily mounting the ladder.

"No, you don't," the Doctor shouts down to her as she slowly starts to climb down the wobbly ladder. He steps onto it, too, when she's about halfway down, and the whole ladder jerks forward. She gasps, her grip on the ladder tightening and her eyes screwing shut.

"I'm going to die," she breathes out, her knees shaking. "I'm going to fall and die!"

"No, you aren't, Cherry!" Amy shouts up at her. "You're almost down."

"I thought we conquered your fear of heights?" the Doctor reminds her of the time she was floating in outer space, and she sighs, looking up at him pointedly.

"We did... and then I was dropped down a feeding tube into a whale's mouth... it must've come back," she remarks sarcastically.

"Just hurry up!" Amy demands harshly, and Cherry lets out a small whine before taking another slow step down. Then, she takes another and another until her foot meets the floor, and she very happily jumps off of the ladder and onto solid ground. She hides her trembling hands behind her back and stands up as straight as she can to try and stop her knees from wobbling. "Took you long enough... honestly."

"Shut up," Cherry grumbles, sending her cousin an annoyed look, but the redhead just grins at her.

River hands Cherry a torch with a kind smile as the Doctor reaches the floor, and Cherry thanks her before grabbing hold of her sleeve and whispering to her. "River, you know me in the future... right? Do I ever get over my fear of heights?"

River turns to look at Cherry, her smirk illuminated by the torch in her hand. "Spoilers!"

"I thought you might say that," Cherry replies bitterly, looking down at her boots in a sulk.

"Do we have a gravity globe?" the Doctor asks to nobody in particular.

"Grav globe," Octavian barks at one of the clerics, who hastily searches through their bag and hands the Doctor a strange, white sphere.