Chapter Twelve

"How do I look?" Cherry asks the men when she walks back into the dining room full of gunpowder, twirling around with a laugh

"How do I look?" Cherry asks the men when she walks back into the dining room full of gunpowder, twirling around with a laugh. Though applying to the Calvierri is a very daunting task, Cherry had only been too excited when Guido had given them some of Isabella's clothes to wear so they could blend. Amy is still changing in Isabella's bedroom and preparing herself to face the vampires... or something potentially worse.

"Yowzah!" the Doctor beams at her, his eyebrows raised, and she blushes, looking at him quizzically.

"Yowzah?" she repeats what he said with a confused laugh. He shrugs his shoulders coolly, his eyes glancing down at her outfit again, lingering on the embroidered flowers on her chest. Her blush deepens, and she fiddles awkwardly with the sleeves of the white shirt underneath the bodice she borrowed. Her outfit is certainly not as regal as the beautiful gowns she saw the vampires wearing earlier, but it is very pretty, and she's just as happy to be wearing it.

"Yes, what's wrong with Yowzah?" the Doctor asks her, and she shakes her head, biting back her smile.

"Nothing," she says.

"Charlotte, can I talk to you?" the Doctor suddenly says, looking very serious, and Cherry's bright expression fades.

"Uhh... sure," Cherry shoots Rory and Guido a confused look as the Doctor takes her by the hand and leads her into Guido's bedroom. She anxiously sits on the edge of his mattress, frowning at how uncomfortable it is beneath her. "Jesus, what is this made of?"

"Um..." the Doctor sits down beside her, wiggling his body for a moment to get a proper feel of the mattress and then he turns to her. "Straw."

"Oh right, I should've known... it's the sixteenth century, after all," Cherry muses, smiling at the Doctor. He smiles back, but it doesn't reach his eyes. Cherry sighs, fiddling with her hands in her lap. "What's wrong?"

"You tell me, Charlotte," the Doctor speaks quietly, and she frowns, shrugging a little. "Tell me. Do you want to go home?"

"I don't know," Cherry mutters, frowning. "I don't want to..."

"But you might?"

"Maybe," she admits, her voice barely a whisper, and the Doctor sighs. He leans back, rubbing his hands over his face, looking a lot more upset than Cherry thought he might. "Is that a problem? You'd still have Amy." Cherry adds the last part a little more bitterly than she meant to, and the Doctor raises his eyebrows.

"Is this because she kissed me?" He asks, smirking a little, and she flushes red.

"No!" She denies it a little too quickly. "There's a lot of reasons."

"Such as?"

"How long did you know?" Cherry demands, crossing her arms over her chest, and he cocks an eyebrow at her.

"Sorry?"

"You knew who I was," Cherry reminds him. "How long did you know?"

"Since Starship UK," the Doctor divulges, and she scoffs, looking at him with hurt swimming in her eyes.