Chapter Fifty-six

TRIGGER WARNING: I think this chapter is pretty heavy ngl and also discusses problems with fertility, medical malpractice, and hostage situations, so please proceed with caution

"Oh..." it's almost inaudible, the sound that escapes Cherry's lips when she pulls open the Tardis doors to follow the Doctor. It cuts through the Doctor, and his breath hitches in his throat. It didn't feel quiet to him. To the Doctor, it's louder than anything he's ever heard. Louder and more painful. It's as if she's screaming. She isn't supposed to be here. She shouldn't have to face this. That's for him to do, alone. She's supposed to be asleep.

She can't be here, because the Doctor knows it won't do her any good. He didn't address it, but he heard every word of her confession. He understands it. He does. He wants them dead too, for everything they did to her and his daughter. But Cherry isn't like him. She's kind and gentle. She isn't vengeful and full of rage. The Doctor didn't think he'd ever see the day she said something like that. It's so unlike her. They changed her and he hates them for it. For what they've done to River, and to Cherry. And he doesn't ever want her to have to feel that way about anyone or anything, ever again.

When he turns back to her, she's dressed again. She's put on her red shorts and her red sweatshirt and the Ugg boots she stole from the wardrobe the very first time they went on a trip. In another circumstance, he might've smiled at the memory. But he can see the fear in her eyes and the way her bottom lip trembles as she stands over the empty cot, the green prayer leaf with their daughter's name on it.

"Charlotte..." he breathes out, walking over to her. She rips her eyes away from the crib, meeting his eyes through a blur of tears.

"Why... why are you here?" she rasps, her fingers shaking as she wipes away the tears that escape her eyes.

"Charlotte, go back to the Tardis," the Doctor says, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and turning her to face the ship. "Go back to bed. I'll be back in a minute."

"No," she shakes her head, pulling away from him. "Why are you here?"

The Doctor frowns, raking his hands through his hair and then exhaling deeply. "I need to check something. Just go. You don't have to be here."

Cherry's eyebrows draw together, and then it dawns on her why he must be here. Because something's wrong with her, and what other explanation could there possibly be other than what they did to her here.

"Doctor," Cherry takes his hands. "You should've woken me up. We can't keep secrets from each other anymore."

"I don't want you back here," the Doctor shakes his head, muscles tense. "I don't want you to see this place ever again."

"Well, I'm already here," Cherry points out, sucking in a deep breath which trembles. "You don't have to do everything alone all the time. I am here for you. We're dating, we're supposed to face things together."