Chapter Twenty-nine

A/N:

A/N:... are you ready for it?

Cherry wakes up with a start. Her eyes widen, and she spreads her hands out over the white duvet set with little cherries printed onto it. She looks around her bedroom with a blank expression on her face, staring at the red walls covered in photos of her, Amy, Rory and Mels and paintings of landscapes and flowers. It's her bedroom, so why does she feel so confused? Of course, she would wake up here. She fell asleep in bed last night and then woke up there. That's how sleeping works. She stares at the red dress hanging in her wardrobe blankly. It's Amy and Rory's wedding. She's been excited about that for months. So why does she feel like her entire world has just come crashing down?

She slowly climbs out of bed, walking over to the wall of photos, and she instinctively reaches out to touch one of her dad and her when she was seven years old, the year he went missing. Why does that loss seem so prevalent this morning? On today of all days. She can't be like this; it's Amy's day.

She jumps when the door opens, and a man bursts into the room. She covers her heart with her hand and gasps, turning to the short, balding man, who is already wearing his suit for the big day. Uncle Augustus. How is he here? Cherry frowns at that thought. Why wouldn't he be here? Why is it surprising that he's here?

"Ah, Cherry, you're up!" He smiles warmly at her, and he forces the same gesture. "Sorry to be a bother, Cherry, there's a bit of a nightmare with the cake. The woman who made it can't drop it off because her car has broken down, and she's in Gloucester."

"I'll go and pick it up," Cherry offers. Even if she feels the lowest she's felt in a long, long time, she isn't going to let anything ruin Amy and Rory's wedding. "What time is the wedding?"

"Starts at twelve, so don't worry," Augustus says, patting her on the shoulder. "Plenty of time to get there and back and ready. I'll go and get the address for you now."

"Thanks," Cherry says as he leaves her room and shuts the door behind him. Cherry takes a moment, sitting on the end of her bed and exhaling deeply. What is wrong with her today?

She shakes it off and has a quick shower to try and calm her nervous energy, and then she pulls on a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms and a sweatshirt so she can go and pick up the cake. Her hands are trembling as she walks through to the dining room, where Augustus is writing his Father of the Bride speech, and her auntie Tabetha is fussing with his suit. Seeing her auntie is just as shocking as it was to see her uncle, and then she furrows her eyebrows because she's lived with them for fifteen years, so what is so confusing about them being here, in their own house?

"Cherry, thank you so much for doing this," Tabetha says, passing her a slip of paper with the address for the wedding cake on it. "What a nightmare! Honestly... Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"What?" Cherry asks, having not heard a word her aunt had said, and Tabetha and Augustus look concerned.

"Are you okay?" Tabetha says again, emphasising her words to be sure Cherry hears them.