Chapter Nineteen

The incision heals overnight, just as the Doctor promised it would, and Cherry takes a long, steaming bath in the morning to wash away any renaming dried blood

The incision heals overnight, just as the Doctor promised it would, and Cherry takes a long, steaming bath in the morning to wash away any renaming dried blood. She had wanted to do so before she slept, but the Doctor strongly advised her against getting the stitches wet and for once, she listened. She soaks in the water until it goes cold, resting her head back against the tub with her eyes shut. She has a bit of a headache from the blow to her head the day before, so she takes her time getting ready, not bothering to do much with makeup other than some light foundation, mascara, and her usual red lipstick. She throws on a plain pair of leggings and picks a dark blue velour jumper from the wardrobe, which she zips up over her vest top, and then she trudges to the kitchen. It's empty, and she groggily boils the kettle and chucks a few slices of bread into the copper toaster. She finds a seat at the small kitchen island and lies her head in her arms as she waits for the toast and the water to be ready.

"Morning," Amy hums as she waltzes into the kitchen, still wearing a nightie and dressing gown. Cherry groans out a greeting, and Amy raises her eyebrows at the brunette. "What's up with you?"

"I've got a headache," Cherry whines, sitting up straight and rubbing her temples. Then, she narrows her eyes at the redhead, who takes three mugs out of the cupboard and places them on the counter. "I blame you."

"Me?" Amy barks out a laugh of disbelief, looking over at Cherry with wide eyes. "What did I do?"

"Well, I was trying to save you from an angry lizard, and she hit me round the head with a gun," Cherry reminds Amy, who purses her lips and turns away from her cousin. She chucks three tea bags into the mugs and then starts to search through the fridge. Cherry slides out of her seat and picks up the kettle. Her hands tremble from the weight, and she struggles to pour the water into the three mugs but slowly fills them all up. Amy hands her a tea towel to wipe up the spilt liquid and a pint of milk to finish the brewing cups of tea.

"Well, I was trying to save the Doctor," Amy excuses her actions. "I thought you'd be pleased."

"Yes, I'm so pleased I got whacked round the head," Cherry rolls her eyes as she splashes milk into the three mugs and then she spreads butter and strawberry jam on top of her toasted bread. "Thank you."

"Where is the Doctor, anyway?" Amy takes the polka dot mug and then sits down at the island, sipping on the boiling liquid without wincing as it burns her mouth.

"How should I know?" Cherry shrugs her shoulders, carrying her bright red mug over to the table with two hands and then fetching her toast in another trip before sitting beside Amy. She leaves the cup she's made for the Doctor on the side, not wanting to spill any of it. "Do you think he ever sleeps?"

"I don't know," Amy frowns, looking over her mug thoughtfully. "He must do... what would he do all night?"

"Ah!" the Doctor exclaims as he bursts into the kitchen. "I was wondering when you two would be up."