Court

Will sat in the ballroom of his family's manor home, he had taken a few days to learn the lay of the land and settle in properly and now, for the first time in nearly three decades, the Manor of Aquatia was holding an open court.

Many civil debates had already been argued before him and solved in the best manner he could think of and there were only two more issues waiting for his attention.

"Your Royal Highness," a young boy with short brown hair and pale green eyes fell to his knee before the prince with shaking hands, he was tied with a coarse  rope and forced to bow his head before Will.

The lord holding the pink clad boy's head down bowed his own head in respect, "A thief, Sire. A common brat who was stealing my cows. I ask permission to punish him as I see fit for his crimes against me and my lands."

"I did it to survive!" The prisoner pulled on his bounds until he was slapped across the face, he settled down quickly after the slap.

"Do not speak in the presence of the Prince!" The lord hissed, "You are a prisoner and he is the husband of the Crowned Prince."

"You will release him and allow him to plead his case before me freely," Will was sympathetic, he could see the discomfort on the prisoner's face and the way he shifted uncomfortably.

The prisoner was forced up, now Will could see the bruises that were littered along his face as the ropes were removed.

Will gave a reassuring nod, "You make speak freely, no one can hurt you," he promised.

"I will admit that I was stealing, yes, but only to survive. I am not from a family, I was given up many years ago and I do what I must to survive each day. Your Royal Highness please, I know I broke the law but please do not send me away with him," the prisoner fell to his knees to beg and plead his case before the duke of the duchy in which he lived.

"What is your name?" Will asked, standing from his chair to move closer to the prisoner, wanting to appear as a friend.

"My name is Apo, Sire," Apo responded, keeping his head bowed low as his breath shook.

Will pulled his sword from his hilt and pressed the flat of the blade against the younger's shoulder gently, moving from shoulder to shoulder a few times, "I now declare you Lord Apo of Aquatia and appoint you as a member of my Court."

Apo's eyes flicked up quickly, conveying thanks and gratitude to be protected from the angry lord that he had displeased in his attempts to live.

The lord in question seemed to take this as Apo being forced to work off his crimes and not as it being a way to save the criminal so he bowed and left with praise and respect for the Duke.

"Lord Apo, you are safe now, I promise. Lady Michela, if you could please show Lord Apo to my rooms, let him relax and then we can find rooms and clothes for him as a member of my Court," Will spoke before turning his attention back to Apo, offering him a hand.

"Thank you, Your Royal Highness, thank you so much," Apo took the offered hand and pulled himself up from his knees, bowing his head quickly as he regained his balance.

"Oh no, none of that here, my friends may call me Will and I hope that you and I can be good friends as time goes on," Will smiled kindly.

"I hope so too, Will," Apo smiled before turning to face Michela, who took his hand gently and led him away to the prince's chambers for a well deserved nap.

"Owen, please could you send the last person in? Then you are free to go," Will took his position back on his chair as two gentlemen, and then three heavily veiled young women who were holding each other's hands entered.